Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we'll i just installed a pioneer avic-n1 navi tv. got two problems.

ok 1st: when i shut the car off and take the face off i can hear a noise coming from the unit sounds like a fan. not sure why it does that, even when i come back hours later it's still going.

2nd: this might be the cause for 1st problem but when shut my car off and take the key out the radio stays on. do i have to run the ignition wire to the ignition or maybe i didn't wire it right. any help would be great

i have 02 passat wagon that has monsoon

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
where do you have the accessory wire (red) running now? if you tied it in with the +12V lead (yellow) it will keep the fan on.

if you want the radio to run off when you pull the key out, you need to run the accessory lead (red) to the S-Contact lead in the ignition (pain in the ass to do) or the tach cluster harness (VERY easy).

i did a write up in the mobile electronics forum on how to do that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where do you have the accessory wire (red) running now? if you tied it in with the +12V lead (yellow) it will keep the fan on.

if you want the radio to run off when you pull the key out, you need to run the accessory lead (red) to the S-Contact lead in the ignition (pain in the ass to do) or the tach cluster harness (VERY easy).

i did a write up in the mobile electronics forum on how to do that.
ok i checked the harnees and took everthing out right now and have the harness in front of me. the red wire is to the red wire, but my freind grounded the brake wire so i could watch dvd while the cars driving. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
what red wire? on an 02 you should have had a double din radio which doesn't normally have a red wire in the harness to connect the radio to.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
my 02' has a single din header with the CD unit right below it.
(pain in the ass. removing the useless CD unit soon)

·
Registered
376 Posts
when you buy an aftermarket wiring it comes with a red wire but the power is always on just like having to yellow wires (memory wire) That's why your fan is always on and so is your dvd when you take the key out. Just like quality sound noted above, find a how to write up and go from there it's a PITA to get to the wire but there is always pics too. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
when you buy an aftermarket wiring it comes with a red wire but the power is always on just like having to yellow wires (memory wire) That's why your fan is always on and so is your dvd when you take the key out. Just like quality sound noted above, find a how to write up and go from there it's a PITA to get to the wire but there is always pics too. GOOD LUCK
if he has the red wire it BETTER NOT be on or his car is all kinds of messed up. the red wire is powered on only when the car is on, or at least it's supposed to if it's working correctly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if he has the red wire it BETTER NOT be on or his car is all kinds of messed up. the red wire is powered on only when the car is on, or at least it's supposed to if it's working correctly.
thanks for all the help everyone. now i installed it right and it's fresh and clean. but i did screw up and i think i should make a point of it.
: when i was going to unscrew the 75x bolt thats under the dash for the accessory wire i was going the wrong way and snapped the bolt and nut:banghead: :cry: (i don't know what i was thinking by tighting it i guess i wasen't thinking). well be careful when doing this i was lucky and figured a way to still attach the nut to what little was left of the bolt and ran a new wire to the other three that were already there plus one to my radio. here's some pics.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
if you get a wild hair up your ass wire the accessory lead from the radio to the s-contact lead in the tach cluster. then your radio will stay on when you turn the key off until you take it out of the ignition.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have the same navi in my B5. Used the harness from Crutchfield though - made installation really easy.

Really nice unit.

Been thinking of selling it though, have a TomTom and Nuvi 360 also. Fun to run all of them at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts