Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1.8T TIP and I wanted to know if anyone had one of these stablizer bars on their cars. My car is lowered (Eibach/Koni) and I wanted to know if I was going to have any clearance problems with either my TT DP or speed bumps.

http://www.autospeedperformance.com/Driveline/Driveline.htm

Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NoneRock said:
I have one on my 2003 1.8T 5-speed with Eibach springs and shocks and have never had any clearance issues.

I am not sure if the bar for the Tip bolts on any lower or not, but I still don't think it will be a problem.
:bow: :bow: Thanks for the quick response NoneRock..... Does it make a noticable difference? I already have a SRS rear sway bar and a PureMotorsports upper strut bar.

I just called Autospeed and they said the groupby offer is over, so it looks like I'll be shelling out $280 + S&H for this bar. The guy on the phone was really nice. He said if it didn't fit properly I could return it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The clearance should be the same on the Tip as it is on the 5 Spd for that bar. It is located farther back of the tranny. But you should still be careful going over stuff on the road. I have scraped that area of my car before and there is nothing mounted there. So it is possible. But that's the risk you take in modifing your car. :crazy: :roll: 8) :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You will notice diff on Tiptronic, but not huge. And that diff is not related to tasks done by struts and sways. This bar is "holding" tranny from "excessive" movements during shift points.
At least on my V6 Tip,4Mo Variant diff was not incredible or so. It will add you a bit of throaty sound in exhaust system. It seams that it is transmitting part of vibrations from tranny to exaust, especially low fqz.with stock exhaust it is "sporty" note but with aftermarket exhausts can be annoying.
Problem can be partialy solved by adding pieces of rubber on end sides of bar.
This is my experience with ASP TSB G2

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
A Chas Bar for a Tip is only $90-$100, and will give you 100% of the subframe bracing benefit. The engine movement benefit can be had with a stiffer front snub mount for $15 or so. PM Chas if you're interested - and look for his ever-present post in the Group Buy forum. And notice how cool he is - he didn't try to sell you one. And if you want a description of the benefits, check out these posts:

Subframe Brace - if you don't have one, get one!
Lower tie-bar (aka "Andybrace" aka "AndyA6 bar") review

1 - 6 of 6 Posts