Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 B5 with the 2.8L V6 72K miles. The owner was having transmission shifting issues. He bought it at an auction and drove it for a while then it quit shifting correctly. Example it would not shift down into lower gears when slowing and sometimes stay in 3rd or 4th when accelerating. I bought it hoping it was something simple like a wet TCU or low fluid but I don't believe that is the problem. There was moisture under the carpet but the inside of the TCU box was dry. When I picked it up I tried driving it onto a dolly and it added a problem. When put it in gear it acts like a manual when you let off the clutch without letting off the break and giving it gas. I took it home and changed the fluid and filter (Pentosin fluid) and it still does it. Its currently on jack stand and when I put it in gear and get immediately off he break it doesn't die and does into gear. After it sits for a while (over night) it will start and I can run the shiftier through the gears a few times without a problem then about the third time it acts like the manual again. I have searched the treads and have not found this problem on the forum. Has anyone here had this or heard of this. My mind sends me to torque converter or lockup solenoid but I am not mechanic enough to know. The car is pretty rough otherwise and I don't want to spend a ton on it but would like to get it running.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
Tough to say without scanning the trans. It does sound like the TC is staying locked, but usually when they fail, the TC stays unlocked. You would need a scan with VCDS (vag-com) as most generic scanners will not fully scan the trans, just read codes. Depending on where you live, there may be someone local with VCDS. There was a vag-com locator thread on here at one point and there may still be one on VWVortex.com. This is the one from here, not sure if it still works: https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-information-base/327096-new-vag-com-locator-link.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.