Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I noticed for the first time, that while driving, my shift knob could move, without pushing the shift button. While driving, I was able to move the shift lever (without pressing the shift button), from drive to neutral, neutral to drive, drive to 4th gear, and also neutral to reverse without pushing the button on the automatic shift knob. However, I needed to push the button when shifting from park to reverse and vice versa. Now this can't be normal? Anyone know what could be wrong if anything? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've experienced this with mine, too. I think it's just normal function.

Quick Question: Anyone know if it's safe (for the tranny and engine) to coast down a hill with a Tip in the Neutral selection?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I Think the shift button really only needs to be pressed when putting the car in reverse and the lower gears like second or third this is to prevent accidentally putting the car into reverse and the lower gears that may cause the engine to over rev.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woah! I thought I might have screwed up my tranny or something. I guess I never payed attention before that the Shifter could move around while driving, without pushing the button. Thats because I don't usually change the shifter while in the middle of driving, but goofed up yesterday. Anyone else know for sure what the deal is?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
OK, busy intersection, I think I am in tip mode and I try to upshift making a left. I was in 'D' and the car goes rev crazy. My wife sunk into the passenger seat. :oops:
Yeah, thats how I know that it shifts to neutral without the button press.

·
Registered
283 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
OK, busy intersection, I think I am in tip mode and I try to upshift making a left. I was in 'D' and the car goes rev crazy. My wife sunk into the passenger seat. :oops:
Yeah, thats how I know that it shifts to neutral without the button press.
I'm guilty of that too, as is my wife. I'd be suprised if most tip owners haven't found out the hard way :shock:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That very same thing have happened to me, the other night.

But I was driving in tip mode and my hand pulled it into drive I forgot and upshifted and bingo lots of tach needle leaning to the right. :thumbup:

My girl was in the car :suspicio: Yeah that's it EUREKA

The one common thing here iS the women, I actually let my girl use the car for a week when I first got it and there was some arm twisting the get the key back at the end of the week.

It must be that :b5: charm :lol:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
A much more interesting question... does anyone know how you can engage reverse while moving forward? I've tried putting it into reverse, it doesn't do anything. A friend tells me that I need to hit the gas at the same time, but for obvious reasons, I really don't want to slam my car into reverse and floor it while going 15 mph to test it out.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
A much more interesting question... does anyone know how you can engage reverse while moving forward? I've tried putting it into reverse, it doesn't do anything. A friend tells me that I need to hit the gas at the same time, but for obvious reasons, I really don't want to slam my car into reverse and floor it while going 15 mph to test it out.
Why would you want to do that???

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The tranny will not go into reverse while moving forward although the shiftstick will. It has electronic protection from fools like you. By moving the tranny to the R position will kill the engine but the tranny will stay in neutral.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
...Quick Question: Anyone know if it's safe (for the tranny and engine) to coast down a hill with a Tip in the Neutral selection?
I do this all the time. I do not know if it is safe for the tranny - the thought had never occured to me. :???:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use it all the time to put in Neutral when waitng at a light. As long as it does not go into reverse and park or when moving from Park you are okay!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.