Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's lift-off for the GTI Light! Auto Express can exclusively reveal that Volkswagen is to build a stripped-out version of the new Golf, offering up to 230bhp.

We learned of the newcomer during an exclusive interview with VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder. The car, set to go on sale in early 2006, has been created purely for keen drivers. He told us: "There are plans for variations of the Golf model, maybe with up to 230bhp and a lighter weight. Ostensibly, however, there will only be one GTI - it's a car in its own right, and not a trim level."

Losing excess weight will be the key, so the doors, bonnet and tailgate will be made from hi-tech alloy to keep the bodyshell light. Non-essential comfort features, such as the weighty components for the air-conditioning system and electric window motors, will be ditched completely. If the firm's engineers get it right, the result should be sensational acceleration and amazing agility.

The standard version's blown FSI engine will be uprated, using a larger turbocharger and a remapped ECU to deliver in the region of 230bhp, along with a 0-60mph sprint time of around six seconds. Lightweight models aren't new; we revealed Renault's second-generation Clio Cup in last week's magazine. However, the development is a move into uncharted waters for VW.

This latest performance Golf is designed to counter the threat from the hot versions of all-new offerings in the small family hatchback market, such as the Vauxhall Astra and Ford Focus.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?da=1&id=50260

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Are they gonna charge more for the stripped one? :lol:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, except the STI isn't a stripped WRX (more features and it's heavier anyways). The EVO to EVO MR is a good analogy, and the MR is cheaper..

It's a neat idea.. but c'mon, they have to pull the A/C and window motors to make a FWD hatchback light?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It's a neat idea.. but c'mon, they have to pull the A/C and window motors to make a FWD hatchback light?
Gee, where have I heard that terrible idea before? Oh, wait, anyone remember the SVT Cobra R that noone liked? It too had no back seat, no AC and no radio, and still bearly managed to beat a stock WS6 T/A

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I can see deleting some stuff, if weight reduction is the goal. I could live with windows that manually crank down, for sure - it only affects the driver and passenger door.

But I think deleting A/C is a mistake. Yeah, it adds weight - but A/C is virtually standard equipment in the States. I don't think Americans will really consider a car without A/C.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They make a DC5 ITR here?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
IMHO this bodes really well for VW just because it shows they're finally playing a strong card of theirs, performance. VW's are great drivers cars and they could sell more if they let people know that.

-Wapptor

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
So what you're suggesting is that VW's recent offerings have not been lacking in performance and driver involvement relative to their competitors, and that the problem is rather a perception of said condition. Is that correct? :poke:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
hahaha. What, VW has always been on the bleeding edge of technology. Just look at their suspensions... :sleep:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.