Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so obviously I'm not going to have everything covered but I did take note of certain vehicles and excuse my randomness of this post

Nissan Titan - Hands down the best equipped truck for the money. The vehicle I sat in was the 4 door with the Off-road and preferred equipment package which rang in at a hair under 32k. The interior was well appointed and had the largest rear seat room of any 4 door pickup truck in the show. About the only con on the whole truck was the very hefty tailgate (yes I'm aware a tailgate can be heavy) but this was heavy by comparison to other trucks. This vehicle also had the painted grille and bumper as opposed to the chrome which looked much better IMHO

VW Toureg - Ok so I finally got a heavy upclose look at this model in all trim levels including the V10. I really am stunned at the price especially the V10 well over 60k dollars. Is it a gorgeous SUV? absolutely infact the V8 I sat in I absolutely fell in love with, especially its neat air suspension that can get you a really sporty look. Features were very good and the interior was much better in lay out then alot of the other Luxo-utes. Infact I found the interior more comfortable then the X5.

WRX STi - We all know the auto show is probably not the ideal place to review the STi however my feelings of this car were that it felt somewhat cheap the doors were surprisingly light. I'd be afraid of wind noise with the frameless windows although I didn't drive it so I wouldnt know. Rear seat room was not that good but manageable.

Lancer Evo - In all honesty I found this vehicle much more liveable in interior and features then the WRX STi. Again I didn't drive it so whats my opinion matter :p I found the recaros supportive but not as supportive as the recaros in my 20th AE GTi. It definitely looks mean

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - This is probably the best jeep ever made. However thats not saying a ton in the way of luxo features and quietness. That said we all know the rubicon's purpose is 4 wheeling. You are basically paying for its 4 wheel drive prowess because it doesnt have any power features. That being said If i needed a great off roader this would be it

Jeep Grand Cherokee - So the grand cherokee is not a new design but it is worth noting that I found this vehicle most comfortable SUV and its price was probably the best value in the sport ute section at 30 grand well equipped

Chevy Colorado (s-10 replacement) - Ok what is GM Smoking? 31 grand for a midsize pickup thats not even fully equipped? Is it a very nice replacement for the s10? absolutely but the price is not inline with the rest of the truck market IMHO

VW R32-while on the subject of car companies smoking something lets move onto VW. The R32 while a very nice car really didn't do it for me. Yes it has a very nice VR6 motor but to the average motorist this car was out last year and was called the 20th Anniversary edition. Very little seperates this car from the 20th both exterior and interior. The leather sport seats were very nice. Seems like its pricing is inline for its bracket (high end sport compact) however with its lack of performance seemingly from the magazine 30 grand seems high.

VW Jetta GLi (jetta 337) This circulated the net as the Jetta 337 edition. It has a front lip, recaros, audi TT brakes, 18" BBS wheels and the 1.8T with a 6 speed. Its overall a very nice car and If you were looking for a sporty 4 door sedan in the VW line up this is it. Think GTi 337 or 20th Anniversary edition in Jetta form.

Saturn Vue Redline Easily seen in the Philly autoshow thanks to its Electric Lime color, overall I was very impressed with this, It seems a good bargain performance ute. 26 grand for an AWD 250hp SUV with a body kit, 18" wheels and a performance suspension you probably can't go wrong

I have tons of others but I'll leave it at that....if you'd like my review of a car ask perhaps I saw it :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I actually like the WRX a lot. I think it's a really well balanced car w/ emphasis to build quality

Strange that so many ppl are complaining about leg room in the WRX, I actually think it pretty comfy, and i'm about 6ft tall, medium boned and 170 lbs. I also work out a bit. The cargo space is really limited though even on the wagon.

The quality of materials are def not on par with VW, but it's a whole lot nicer than nissan/honda/toyota imo. Build quality for the most part is pretty good, although the hood scoop and the whale wing seem to wobble a lot, so that's the exception. Another reason why I think the WRX is really well put together is b/c I think it's a really safe car. According to stats, there are very few injuries among accidents involving WRX's http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_4dr.htm (hope that works). Reliability records for WRX are also rumoured to be on par with Honda and Toyota. I really think Subaru has some of the best build quality out there.

Mitsubishi on the other hand, has generally had a poor reputation among Japanese auto manufacters for reliability, and are known to be notorious for their servicing in general. The EVO has much nicer Recaro seats than the STi, but I found the interior to feel a lot more econobox. Legroom inside the EVO is not bad either

Then again, very seldom do I complain about leg/head room. I'm even comfy inside a CRX and a Miata. I think it sometimes feels good to be in a snug, but not necc cramped cockpit. The only time I felt really uncomfy was in the back of a Mk4 Jetta, or on a plane in economy class. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that a lot of ppl here in Clubb5 and the Vortex are prob around 7ft tall, 400lbs, or just spoiled by the Passat's cavernous interior. There's always ppl badgering about lack of leg/head room.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Z28Driver said:
Saturn Vue Redline Easily seen in the Philly autoshow thanks to its Electric Lime color, overall I was very impressed with this, It seems a good bargain performance ute. 26 grand for an AWD 250hp SUV with a body kit, 18" wheels and a performance suspension you probably can't go wrong
And its a Honda built 250hp 3.5L V6 and 5spd Auto.

Not bad at all.

Hey Was the new Subie Legacy GT there?

-Nick

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TAckhouse1 said:
And its a Honda built 250hp 3.5L V6 and 5spd Auto.

Not bad at all.

Hey Was the new Subie Legacy GT there?

-Nick
Ah it completely slipped my mind. The new legacy is there however its up on a display that you cannot readily see the interior. However the exterior styling is very much what you saw in the concept. Infact the thing looks great and I think will have no problems bringing it up into good competition. I can't really say more since i couldn't get so close to it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Z28Driver
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing