Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say I've had much "success" with Auto-RX. I followed the directions but nothing really happened. The dino oil coming out from the "rinse" phase after 2000 miles (supposed to be the dirtiest part) was perfectly clean, as was the synthetic oil I used for the "cleaning" phase. If I check the dipstick, the oil wasn't even darkened.

Speaking of dipstick, I used a Mityvac extractor for the oil change. I'm supposed to push the tube past a flap to access the oil, right?

I checked the oil right after driving today, and there was a faint smoke (and smell) coming out from the oil filler hole thing. Is this normal... or does it have anything to do with using dino oil?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
No point complaining about a clean engine. You can always pop the valve cover off and look for nastiness if you want to make absolutely sure there isn't hidden sludge anywhere.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just hijack this one. Is there any product available at retail autoparts stores that's like Auto-Rx? I'm a little nervous about those motor flush products that look more like paint thinner than anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
emPoWaH: You did everything right, so your engine is likely clean. I have done the Auto-Rx treatment on 2 cars ('98 Passat 1.8T & '91 Volvo 940), and each time the rinse-phase oil was very dirty. I'm not sure what to make of the smoky smell, but it was not due to any possible damage from using dino oil. If it was transient and no longer present, I would likely not pursue the issue.

ChrsB5: I would not look for something "like" Auto-Rx, I would just go ahead and get the real thing: http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html. It has a great reputation here and at BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

Kevin

·
Registered
263 Posts
What about sea Foam? Is that the same basic concept here, i used auto RX and nothing came out really. Also sea foam isnt made for cars just boats correct?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you've been using good syn, changing it often, I wouldn't worry too much about ARX "not cleaning" as there probably wasn't much to clean.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my 02 1.8t 5speed used with 50,000+ miles and got the dreaded STOP warning at 68,500. I dropped the pan and changed the oil pump and pickup, cleaned the pan and 2000 miles later, the tri-y PCV fitting at the rear of the head blew.

When I replaced that, I noticed the inside of the PCV tubes was full of gunk. I'm afraid to try to dislodge it. Would Auto-RX wash it away gradually, in chunks that may clog the pickup again (I don't want to take the pan down again), or have no effect on the PCV system?

My only oil change since the oil pump change was 2000 miles later full synthetic and semi clean. I wouldn't expect it to be spiffy clean first time after a desludgification.

Thanks for any theories or experiences. Sry if I'm hijacking this thread, thought it may be relevant.

Under edit: I also found remnants of the upper orange bump-on from the dipstick down in the bottom of the pan. You all might want to check your dipsticks. If they're not on the stick, guess where they went.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
I don't think you can rely on Auto-RX to degunk your PCV system. In fact, a clogged PCV system can accelerate coke particle formation in the 1.8T, and conventional oil sludge in any engine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just hijack this one. Is there any product available at retail autoparts stores that's like Auto-Rx? I'm a little nervous about those motor flush products that look more like paint thinner than anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic - VW approved AND has "autoRX-like" esters for cleaning and treating rubber seals...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can anyone name an automobile manufacturer (or ANY engine manufacturer for that matter) that actually recommends using Auto-RX or any similar product?

·
Registered
35 Posts
So if I were VW...

...why would I take on a huge liability to extend the engine warranty against sludge on thousands of vehicles when I could just tell everyone to go out and buy $20 worth of Auto-RX?

If I posed the choice to you personally, give me $20 worth of Auto-RX or guarantee that you'll replace my engine for sludge related failure up to 100k miles ($4k-$5k), which one would you offer me to get off the hook?

My guess is that you would give me the $20 solution if you were SURE it would work or at least not cause further damage. If you knew it wouldn't work or was likely to cause even more damage then you would offer the extended warranty.

I'm still waiting to hear which engine manufacturer recommends Auto-RX or any similar product...

If it really worked, you would think at least ONE of the major manufacturers might have something positive to say about it. The Americans, the Europeans, or the Asians on the automotive side, or one of the many marine engine makers, aircraft engine makers, motorcycles, heavy equipment, generators, small engines, etc., etc.

ANYONE?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
The diesel and ATF works, used it on gas and diesel engines. ATF is really good at this.

If you have every opened a tranny you will know what I'm talking about. They are uber clean, rarely even have staining inside.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
...why would I take on a huge liability to extend the engine warranty against sludge on thousands of vehicles when I could just tell everyone to go out and buy $20 worth of Auto-RX?

If I posed the choice to you personally, give me $20 worth of Auto-RX or guarantee that you'll replace my engine for sludge related failure up to 100k miles ($4k-$5k), which one would you offer me to get off the hook?

My guess is that you would give me the $20 solution if you were SURE it would work or at least not cause further damage. If you knew it wouldn't work or was likely to cause even more damage then you would offer the extended warranty.
Well here's the deal with Auto-RX. Its not going to save a heavily sludge engine and they don't claim it will do that -- only uninformed internet users do.
What it will do is help prevent a major sludging problem on a 1.8T that used dyno up to now (or sludge letter). Its nota silver bullet, and in many ways teh reason that it get such high marks is that Auto_RX doesn't claim to be. it MIGHT save an engine that just had the oil pressure light just come on.
Also, a number of independent oil anlysis labs (the most notable being balckstone) seem to recommend it to some users of thier services. thats at least enought assure to me that it won't cause damage, unlike, say slick50 (Which does claim to be a silver bullet).
Also, one of the major reasons you want the engine warranty is not to clean out the coke as much as to repair the damage caused by starvation. Using AUTO-RX won't void that warranty, as you can use it with syn (you just need longer intervals than with dyno -- 3,000 for the rinse)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The fact that ARX isn't sold retail scares me as well, but it is very well respected in enthusiast circles of all cars.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

I'm still waiting to hear which engine manufacturer recommends Auto-RX or any similar product...

If it really worked, you would think at least ONE of the major manufacturers might have something positive to say about it. The Americans, the Europeans, or the Asians on the automotive side, or one of the many marine engine makers, aircraft engine makers, motorcycles, heavy equipment, generators, small engines, etc., etc.

ANYONE?
There are a lot of things around here that manufacturer's don't recommend but we do anyway :D

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
There are a lot of things around here that manufacturer's don't recommend but we do anyway :D
Yup, my manual tells me to use dino on a 1.8T.
It also tells me the ATF and coolant are lifetime and that the TB will last 105k mi. Also, the V6 water pump that goes at 60-80k? Lifetime. Oh and for all but the oil and ATF (100k, now, which both ZF [made the tranny] and Pentosin [made the fluid] say are dead wrond, and should be done at 60-75k) are still standing orders.
*cough*
/Also, some dealers now do recommend auto-rx. Not many though, bad for revenue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts