Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
All is in the title. I have a 1998 B5 passat with a Gamma V. The sound quality is very poor indeed and I am looking for some machinery that could improve it: an amplifier perhaps (like the Helix PP50 DSP). I will change the speakers as well.
BUT, I want to keep my car as original as possible (i.e. keeping the head unit, the speaker covers etc...).

I don't know my way 'round this forum yet, therefore I am very sorry if someone else started this thread already.
Anyway, I need your opinion on this.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The head unit is by far the weakest link sonically in the system. You can do the amp and speakers, but the biggest gain you can get is from replacing the stock HU with a quality aftermarket one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the Gamma is rubbish, it's not a good start if you want to improve your sound system... But you think this is possible then?
Now i've searched the web some more: Some guy on youtube did this apparently:

He compared the results with and without the helix unit:
The final result: (with an added subwoofer)

What do you think? It seems pretty legitimate to me and the sound is great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fischer's a reputable company, and I've read good things about the Helix. Might have to move quickly, though - Fischer's no longer making that model, and there aren't many places to buy it. More to the point, you'll probably have to order the VW harness for the processor from Europe - Amazon UK has it for about £42.

I appreciate your interest in keeping the car stock - but I don't know if I could bring myself to spend $450 in order to keep the Gamma V.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that it will be quite a lot more expensive than buying an aftermarket unit, but I live in a part of town where you shouldn't park your ferrari, well at least if you want to to keep it... :thumbup:
So an original unit will attract less attention and so it is for highly tuned cars, they're going to be smashed up and/or stolen if you park it where I live...
I prefer to keep mine original and to look miserable so I can keep my car :)
I will have to move fast though.

Thanks a lot guys! (or girls if there are any on this website:D)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.