Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap 50x2 (or 100x1 bridged) amp and a 10" rockford fosgate sub. These items used to be installed in a 93 Fox. The head unit at the time was a Sony with pre-amp outs.

So today I got it out of the basement and installed it in my SUV. However it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did in the fox :???:

I installed it differently (factory stereo doesn't have pre-amp outs) and I'm wondering if that's why? I spliced into the rear right speaker and I'm using the speaker level inputs on the amp. Notice I said right; I didn't splice into the left one.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to add the left channel and see if that helps any. If it doesn't then I can only assume that using pre-amp outs is a lot better than speaker level (and I mean a LOT). Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well even though lowend bas only needs to be mono, it is stereo on the cd. ie if a group recods a song where the bass guitar is panned left, you wont hear its lowend with an amp only hooked up to the right line. So this should make a huge difference in some songs.

The amps built in line inputs might not be that great if its a cheap amp, but the problem might also be the HU itself, especially if its designed not to put out frequencies that could damage the factory speakers by being too low.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
souplogic said:
Well even though lowend bas only needs to be mono, it is stereo on the cd. ie if a group recods a song where the bass guitar is panned left, you wont hear its lowend with an amp only hooked up to the right line. So this should make a huge difference in some songs.
I thought of that.....I was wondering if I'd regret it because some studio decided to play audio games with their songs.

The amps built in line inputs might not be that great if its a cheap amp, but the problem might also be the HU itself, especially if its designed not to put out frequencies that could damage the factory speakers by being too low.
That's the other thing I was worried about....this could all be a mute point if the HU has some sort of EQ already built in for the rear speakers (specially since the rear speakers that came with the car seem very cheap).

I'm out to the hook up the left channel as I write.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was a disaster. I wasn't getting any sound from the left rear channel. So I tried a different speaker cable. Then I thought I had cut the wrong cables. So I tried some other ones and then I didn't have door locks!!!

Long story short I'm just going to leave it with the right rear channel only for now. I basically spent the last hour or so patching up all my goof ups. :mad: :cry: :oops:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The reason the bass sucks in the SUV is because............dramatic pause........it's an SUV!!!!! It's got 4 times the internal volume of your Fox! Of course there will be less bass! Bass is all about creating pressure. More space means you need more subs to compress the air in that larger space. You'll have to upgrade to AT LEAST a 12", and probably 2 to get the same type of bass performance you had in your Fox assuming the same box type.

Paul :thumbup:

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew I'd get an answer from someone on here :D

Never really thought about the fact that it's in the open as opposed to a small trunk. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh well....it's not as dramatic as it was in the fox, but I'm not really into the whole "they can hear me coming a block away" anymore...just wanted to add something to my lacking factory stereo (which I think I've acomplished). I'll find out for sure during tomorrow's commute to work :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, I was thinkin of hooking a sub up without preamps too. i was wondering if it would be wise to use a crossover so as not to damage the sub with highs :???: . I don't know, just wondering.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
dapsteez said:
Yeah, I was thinkin of hooking a sub up without preamps too. i was wondering if it would be wise to use a crossover so as not to damage the sub with highs :???: . I don't know, just wondering.

Highs won't damage the sub. It'll sounds like ass and it'll sound like the sub is in the trunk (you generally want it to appear as if all the bass is coming from the midbasses), but it won't hurt anything. FYI, pretty much every amp on the market will at least have a simple crossover built into it.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts