Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmunds.com said:
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Audi of America has introduced a European Delivery Program that will enable U.S. customers to purchase a vehicle and pick it up at Audi headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany.

Among the fringe benefits are a guided tour of the Ingolstadt plant and the Audi museum.

The program covers any model currently sold in the United States and offers a 5 percent discount off the sticker price (3 percent on the A3), as well as 15 days' worth of insurance, registration and export license plates valid through much of Europe. Audi also picks up the tab for ocean shipping, marine insurance, customs duty and U.S. processing, as well as transportation to and from the Munich airport and one night's accommodations at a local four-star hotel.

If you're planning to take a driving vacation in Europe, Audi offers drop-off and shipping from 20 locations on the continent.
My take on this is that though its a good thing its far below what is offered by the competition. Hopefully its like BMW in the way you can get much bigger discounts than advertised. For BMW there is a different invoice price for ED cars and they dont come out of a dealers allotment so people routinely get better deals and save 4K+ on 3 series cars.

For comparison...other companies Euro Delievery deals:
7% for BMW and Mercedes. (ED for BMW I know can save a lot more than even that for people)

Roughly 8% for Volvos...most are more than 8%

It is horrible when compared to Saab where you save at least 10% and get 2K for travel expenses. (But still have to drive a saab)

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
I think it is still a good thing if someone is interested in an Audi. I wonder if they will come the the tourist plates like all the Volvos I see here. That might mean a Euro hatch ;)

It is the last euro piece I need on the exterior of my A3 to make it completly european OEM :/

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I read about it the other day. I'd do it. So could you get them to install the Euro goodies on the car? Saw you did an RS4 - could you get the steering wheel, seats and front bumper?

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
So i have to ask. How does Audi benefit from this? It's at a discounted price. They still pay for shipping. I don't get it.
IIRC it has to do with taxes. (I think)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I read about it the other day. I'd do it. So could you get them to install the Euro goodies on the car? Saw you did an RS4 - could you get the steering wheel, seats and front bumper?
No. You buy a US Spec vehicle.

jdubes said:
So i have to ask. How does Audi benefit from this? It's at a discounted price. They still pay for shipping. I don't get it.
My recollection is that by driving the vehicle before importing it into the US the manufacturer pays less on import taxes. Maybe it's imported not as a new vehicle. Obviously, you can't do it with 10 miles on the odometer or every manufacturer would exploit that.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
It also saves them from taking huge losses on cars that they ship over to dealers and don't sell. Plus, you may be saving 5%, but imagine the margin a dealer gets. Even with that 5% discount, they're still making more on that sale than they are on a car sold through a dealer.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
It also saves them from taking huge losses on cars that they ship over to dealers and don't sell. Plus, you may be saving 5%, but imagine the margin a dealer gets. Even with that 5% discount, they're still making more on that sale than they are on a car sold through a dealer.
There must be some clauses that allow personal importation to avoid tariffs and fees in customs and such. Since you are the owner of the car it must cost you less to bring it over than it costs Audi to do the same.

If I could arrod a new Audi I would do this in a heartbeat.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
If I could arrod a new Audi I would do this in a heartbeat.
yeah I am bummed too. We just bought 2 06 Audis in the last 5 months.. had I known this was coming I would have kept our X5 longer and bought the 2nd A3 when this came around :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
where was this a year ago?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I know about Euro delieveries, the deals are usually lower since the company can import the car as a used car instead of a new vehicle since you took delivery over there thus its already your car when its shipped.

Its good that Audi is starting this but its horrible compared to what other companies offer. I looked into BMW's since its very well talked about on bimmerfest and there is tons of info on it. Its fairly common for people to get deals of $1,000 or less over Euro Delievery invoice which is already far less than US invoice for the car. Dealers do this since it doesnt come out of their allotment so its an extra car for them to sell. The 7% is something no one really would accept as a good deal, since it sounds pretty routine for people to save 4-5k on a 3 series depending on option levels.

If you can deal with Audi like that then it will be worth looking into but if not the only good thing about it is that you can have a nice vacation in europe with a free rental car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts