Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone's ever asked this before but does anyone know if the stock intercooler (left side) from the 2.7t S4 fit our cars? If so, is the core itself bigger than ours (would it outperform our stock i/c)?

edit
oh yea, reason i ask is b/c i'd like to see a $200 s4 stock i/c from a junkyard is even feasible before i spend $800 on an aftermarket fmic

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
My recollection is the stock S4 I/C is basically the same as ours. The RS4 I/C's which are tougher to source and pricier are beefier and with a liitle work can be fitted.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ thanks for the quick response. i figured s4s benefit from having the dual, but each i/c individually was probably same size as ours.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
its going to be difficult to fit the pass. side in. the first issue is the A/C drier cannister. I believe the S4 has a slightly different bracket that locates it slightly more to the rear. The second issue, only if you are DBW, will be the secondary airpump is right there and would have to be relocated.

I have looked into DSMICs using TT225 smics. I have even purchased a set, they are slightly smaller than the S4 SMICs and have a better plumbing arrangement. Unfortunately before I can even start to think about installing the pass. side, i will have to relocate the sec. air pump. The whole job is pretty involved and other things have come up.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This may be crazy but i'll ask anyway.

Would it be possible to get a FMIC and make custom pipes and hook it up to the stock SMIC? Would you see any real gains from this? Would it be worth the time and effort?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts

Would it be possible to get a FMIC and make custom pipes and hook it up to the stock SMIC? Would you see any real gains from this? Would it be worth the time and effort?
people will tell you that the total pressure drop would out weight the benefits of any additional intercooling done by the smic.

i am not convinced of this...

but...another way of looking at it is unless you are overpowering a FMIC alone, there is no benefit of adding the SMIC. i.e. if your IATs are too high even after adding a FMIC, only then a SMIC inline would potentially help.

·
Registered
879 Posts

this is how I have mine:

I have lower IATs than all the people I know.Some say I may have more lag till turbo fills all that tubing but honestly with the DV relocated near TB,I don't feel any lag.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I doubt you'd have the depth to sandwich 2 SMICs and plumbing.
Oettinger made an upgraded SMIC as well, but their stuff is usually expensive.
Has anybody done either a Nitrous fogger (I know it's been done on FMICs), or water spray like the Subaru WRX/Sti?
You could perhaps install an extra tank/ pump using windshield washer parts?
There's also the S4 ventilated wheel liner mod I've read about.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I doubt you'd have the depth to sandwich 2 SMICs and plumbing.
Oettinger made an upgraded SMIC as well, but their stuff is usually expensive.
Has anybody done either a Nitrous fogger (I know it's been done on FMICs), or water spray like the Subaru WRX/Sti?
You could perhaps install an extra tank/ pump using windshield washer parts?
There's also the S4 ventilated wheel liner mod I've read about.
The SMIC is about 2.5" deep. There would be plenty of space for 2, provided a mounting and plumbing solution could be created.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
this is how I have mine:

I have lower IATs than all the people I know.Some say I may have more lag till turbo fills all that tubing but honestly with the DV relocated near TB,I don't feel any lag.
How is it connected? Got any more pics? Still on stock ko3?

Good work!
Ethan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts