Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, can somebody tell me if there is a diference on a audi and passat 2.8 v6 motor?? Model 2001 - 2003
I would like to put the audi motor on my passat are there diferent conections are they compatible dont want to do adaptations very low budget!!
and im not ready to let go!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I can't speak to the V6, but the 1.8T is "the same but different." (A 2005 A4 replaced my Fresco Green 2001.5 1.8T Passat.)

The 1.8T engine in the Audi looks the same from 10 feet away, but a two differences I know of:
  • The Passat has a fuel return line, the Audi does not (I believe the fuel pressure regulator is back at the tank)
  • The Passat uses the clutch driven fan and a small electric radiator fan, while the Audi uses two variable speed electric fans, with speed controlled by the ECM (like a W8 Passat)
I would expect the V6 to have those differences and more.

·
Registered
26,976 Posts
The 2.8 motors should be the same, with some minor changes to the PCV system. Audi used larger exhaust on the C5 A6, so the manifolds might be different. Audi eventually went to the 3.0 and the heads are different. After that they went to the 3.2 and more changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I second the change to the PCV system. A few less clips and hoses on my 2004 ATQ. Mainly it doesn't have a vacuum pump, or they moved it deeper in the engine bay, since I can't see it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mechanically they should be the same, externally there will be differences. If it's power you're trying to gain, there won't be any going from the same platform base.
I just found an Audi A4 last night that's a 2.8 V6 AWD and a manual. I'm going to go pick it up for my wife, sadly to replace her Passat. They look pretty much the exact same under the hood as far as I could tell so far.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I second the change to the PCV system. A few less clips and hoses on my 2004 ATQ. Mainly it doesn't have a vacuum pump, or they moved it deeper in the engine bay, since I can't see it.
my VW 2002 2.8L ATQ V6/5v...I swear there is a brake vacuum pump directly next to the power steering fluid reservoir.
picture found:

I swear my buddy's 2000 A4 sedan has the same 2.8l as my 2002 passat. obviously, i could be wrong (also I know it is not the motor that came with car, it was swapped at some point, I have no idea if the donor was a passat...).

my Audi 2003 3.0L AVK V6/5v...no vacuum pump, just an empty spot in the engine bay. Additional coolant line just off the top of my head, not sure what else, I haven't gotten elbow deep in this car yet.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,548 Posts
After that they went to the 3.2 and more changed.
I can't even imagine how a Passat with 3.2L engine would drive. I'm trying to picture the option to take out 1.8L one from my Passat and install a 3.2L in it. :sneaky:

·
Registered
255 Posts
my VW 2002 2.8L ATQ V6/5v...I swear there is a brake vacuum pump directly next to the power steering fluid reservoir.
picture found:
View attachment 99584

I swear my buddy's 2000 A4 sedan has the same 2.8l as my 2002 passat. obviously, i could be wrong (also I know it is not the motor that came with car, it was swapped at some point, I have no idea if the donor was a passat...).

my Audi 2003 3.0L AVK V6/5v...no vacuum pump, just an empty spot in the engine bay. Additional coolant line just off the top of my head, not sure what else, I haven't gotten elbow deep in this car yet.
That is a vacuum pump for the brake booster. All automatics have this.I know only because I was troubleshooting a 17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure CEL.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,997 Posts
That is a vacuum pump for the brake booster. All automatics have this.I know only because I was troubleshooting a 17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure CEL.
Yes, not found in a manual car, unless it was manual-swapped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts