Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new vehicle, and I've narrowed down the list to either the new Audi A6 3.2 or the 2006 Lexus GS300.

I've test drove both, and leaning toward the A6 at the moment mainly for quattro & the esthetic of both the interior & exterior. The A6 interior is absolutely first class, and this is one of the main reason for my slant.

I am looking at either a 2 or 3 yrs lease, not sure whether Lexus or Audi currently offer any special or subvent for either of these vehicles. I'll give the dealers a call to find out.

Input & suggestion are welcome.

TIA

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Considering your cicumstances: Short term lease, Texas weather and your personal taste, go with the Audi.

Personally, I can't stand the new interior. But don't foresee major work/problems with the Audi in your timeline.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I thought the GS was available with awd in the new model? I love the Lexus, but part of my criteria is long-term maint. What are you getting rid of?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A6 3.2 FSI is my choice, check torque curve and you will fall in love.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ganseg said:
I thought the GS was available with awd in the new model? I love the Lexus, but part of my criteria is long-term maint. What are you getting rid of?
GS300 does have available AWD, for an additional $2K. For comparable options, the GS300 runs about $2-4K more than the A6. This will be company car, and I'm still debating whether to keep my old B5.5 for grocery getter.

Agreed with poster above, the GS300 rear does very much resemble the Maxima. This is the part that I disliked the most on the GS.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
a6! drove the gs the other day, RWD and while it drove nice and all, i just didnt like it that much for some reason. personal opinion though.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just read Motor Trend on the G300 and 400. They thought the 300 was underpowered and didn't handle as well as the 400. Then the 400 was over controlled by the stability control. I inferred they think the GS300 will have the 3.5L V6 from theAvalon next year and a bigger version of the V8.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
A6 = teuton
Lexus = Toyota on steroids

The Lexus in all likelihood doesn't have that sort of "drive me like you mean it" ethic going for it. I haven't driven it. But still if I'm not mistaken the resale value of a Lexus is markedly high is it not? Since you are leasing that may mean savings ultimately for you.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Lexus dealers will treat you like you're royalty. That is, if you ever plan on going to the dealer. Its on what, a 110k mile maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
stealthx32 said:
Lexus dealers will treat you like you're royalty. That is, if you ever plan on going to the dealer. Its on what, a 110k mile maintenance schedule?
Amen to that. My father-in-law has a two year old GS300. He called the Lexus dealer because of a hum that was coming from the engine when he started it. Lexus, 38 miles away, said don't drive it we'll be right there. They showed up about 45 minutes later with a piggy back wrecker and a loaner vehicle ( a lowly ES300 with 2500 miles on it that looked brand new ). Wrecker brought the car back, the next day, fixed, rolled it off and put the loaner back on.
Father-in-law got in the car to check it out and drive it into the garage and found two nice new Lexus coffee mugs in the cupholders.
Now that's service. I wonder what the owners of the LS get treated like. :lol:

Joe

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
ACE said:
Amen to that. My father-in-law has a two year old GS300. He called the Lexus dealer because of a hum that was coming from the engine when he started it. Lexus, 38 miles away, said don't drive it we'll be right there. They showed up about 45 minutes later with a piggy back wrecker and a loaner vehicle ( a lowly ES300 with 2500 miles on it that looked brand new ). Wrecker brought the car back, the next day, fixed, rolled it off and put the loaner back on.
Father-in-law got in the car to check it out and drive it into the garage and found two nice new Lexus coffee mugs in the cupholders.

Joe

wow thats impressive :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Damn.... Damn... I have no idea what to say to that. Wow. I want proof! lol j/k (and I'm sure the LS owners must get a happy ending too :p)

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ACE said:

Joe
Believe or not, I love taking my wife's RX300 to the dealer. Decent loaner is always available, and their lounge is always stocked to the brim with juice & soft drink, plus piping hot espresso & cappuccino to boot. Lexus service is second to none :thumbup: .

The GS300 is a much better ride in term of comfort & acceleration, seems to pull harder than the A6 3.2 on straight away. Handling isn't too bad, just a bit too soft for my taste. That said, I find the A6 a much cleaner design both inside & out. Acceleration may not be as good as the GS300, but the A6 made up for that with the tighter suspension + quattro.

I will more likely get the Lexus loyalty discount should I choose the GS300. But as of now, I am liking the A6 more & more everyday. My wife also prefers the A6 over the GS300. Now it comes down to the leasing term between these two cars, should have some final numbers in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
Damn.... Damn... I have no idea what to say to that. Wow. I want proof! lol j/k (and I'm sure the LS owners must get a happy ending too :p)
I gotta add though, that was the third Lexus he's bought new from that dealer in the last ten years. Ya think maybe they keep tabs on loyal customers?

Joe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts