Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2000 ATW for 3 years now and put on about 70k. I have been fairly good with maintenance, but I am a bit curious how many other ATW owners have had a trouble free vehicle. It seems that this year/engine was the best B5 put out. Besides control arms, MAF, and a emergency relay, I have been completely trouble free. How many other ATW owners have had the same good experience?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I'm the third owner of my ATW Passat, and it seems all good. Having an issue with the Secondary Air Injection hose, but mechanically things are great.

I think I just jinxed myself... ;)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Owned for one year today, all maintanence Items(plugs, TB) other than that the motor has been awesome.

98,6??

Drove 15k in the last year, with an average of 30.2MPG

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
2nd owner and i have had a new tranny, new oil sump, i need a new SAIP. Otherwise pretty good, the previous owner organized every repair and there are quite a few fixes, pretty good for me for the last 2 years though

bought at 64k miles
current 106k

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2nd owner and i have had a new tranny, new oil sump, i need a new SAIP. Otherwise pretty good, the previous owner organized every repair and there are quite a few fixes, pretty good for me for the last 2 years though
Not quite sure i would consider those repairs and still say its been pretty good to you....

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
as i recall correctly, 2000/ATWs were the highest rated quality model year. no coil pack recall, and no ICM issues helped that.

my ATW has had the typical issues (combi valves, coolant temp sensor) but so far so good. I do alot of preventative maintenance so I probably sidestepped some issues. I also injected my control arms with high quality red line CV2 grease at 50K miles...now im on 97K miles with the original control arms.

also, ive owned my car since new.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
well it has been covered under my extended warranty, i have put under 500 out of my pocket towards this car

·
Registered
815 Posts
Original owner of an ATW. MAF (warranteed, but not until I contacted VW directly - at 40k - thanks for nothing Bozzani VW), coolant temp sensor are the only non-maint items. I do all my maint items and watch under the hood regularly to make sure all the big parts are still where they're supposed to be. Changed out the vacuum lines and clamps.
Oh - and I'm at 73k.

From what I've read on here for almost 7 years, the ATWs are definitely up at the top for reliability.
Which reminds me, I've got to change my OEM battery this weekend; 6-1/2 years is about the limit!
And you ClubB5/PassatWorld people are the best - esp. our esteemed moderators AtomicAlex and Rusty!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Original owner of a 2000 ATW too. I'm at 72,000 miles and no major problems so far.

Curious, when have ATW timing belts been replaced or failed?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm almost done rebuilding my atw. I must have had a loose wrist pin or something because cyl. 4 was egg shaped so much we had to bore i .040 over to make it true again.

Not really sure what caused this, I know the motor was slugged when i got it a 92k. But other than that the motor was great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have owned my 2000 ATW for 3 years now and put on about 70k. I have been fairly good with maintenance, but I am a bit curious how many other ATW owners have had a trouble free vehicle. It seems that this year/engine was the best B5 put out. Besides control arms, MAF, and a emergency relay, I have been completely trouble free. How many other ATW owners have had the same good experience?
2000 ATW Tip: Original owner at around 98500 Miles.
Just started DIYing. Checking the records, I discover the usual suspects have been replaced.
I have come to appreciate the car more after working on it myself.

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
Here is a link to the maintenance on my 2000 B5 w ATW

Forgot to add that its getting ready for its 4th Coolant Flange. UGHHHH!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts