Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my dead Passat a short distance from one place to another... and I'd like to do so without the expense of hiring a tow truck. My wife and I were going to tow it the other night with our pickup but couldn't find a place to hook on the Passat. I didn't take the time to crawl around investigating much. Is there a hook hidden under there some where?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know when my fuel pump went out on me my mechanic came thru and towed it by taking off one of the bumper grill inserts (can't remember which side) there's a hook located there... My 99 wagon, hope this helps!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought I saw one on there when working on the car one other time... but wasn't sure. I'll take the time to look tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the B6.. Not sure about the B5. The front right lower grill insert should come out and you should have a screw in eye bolt to screw in there. It is reverse thread.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,757 Posts
That tow "hook" eye is for recovery and transport. It is not to be used to tow the vehicle down the road. Got a uhaul nearby that can rent you a tow dolly? You can usually get one for $45 or so. $55 for a full trailer if AWD.

Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
564 Posts
That tow "hook" eye is for recovery and transport. It is not to be used to tow the vehicle down the road. Got a uhaul nearby that can rent you a tow dolly? You can usually get one for $45 or so. $55 for a full trailer if AWD.
^ This. You're better off with a dolly - if the car is an automatic you risk damaging the transmission if you tow it too far in neutral.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts