Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought not relying on a weak battery for the winter was a wise choice. I just bought a battery and drove it 1 day with mulitple starts with no issues.
We had a major drop in the temperature and after sitting 1 night in sub zero temperatures it would not start. 1 click is all I get, checked battery voltage and reads apprx. 12.7 VDC before crank, during crank drops to roughly 12 VDC. Tried a few hour charge thinking maybe I bought a half charged battery, no luck.

I guess this is most likely the starter and the 1 click I hear is the solenoid. Up to this point with the old battery never had any starter issues.

Another strange thing is the trunk wouldn't open. I could hear the actuator go but it wouldn't release. Trunk was working fine the day before the new battery. I don't think the two are related but it could be frozen, will try to heat things up
tomorrow and see where I'm at.

As always any help and/or ideas are welcomed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other issue that I've had lately had been a sticky transmission button (automatic silver button), From what I have read is this could cause the power not to be allowed to the starter because of the starter interlock circuit. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? The button currently allows the key to come out of the ignition when the button is out, and allows the shifter to shift into gear when depressed. But I read that there is still a portion of this that could not allow the car to to start.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
328 Posts
The (pretty much all cars) car will only start in park or neutral. If for some reason your car doesn't think it is in either of those two positions, it will not start.

I know my Nissan Titan has a PNP (Park Neutral Position) sensor. I assume the VWs have it too. that is where I would start.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
How are the lights, etc when the car won't crank? 12.7V for a sitting battery sounds about right. If the battery is truly low on charge the lights will be dim and voltage will probably be lower.

Are the battery connections clean and tight? Be sure to use a battery brush and clean both the terminals and cable ends. Make sure the cables are also in good shape with no weird after-market splices, etc. If the solenoid is clicking I don't think it's the transmission lock-out switch. I would suspect a bad connection somewhere in the battery to starter circuit. Usually this is a spice or dirty battery connections although there are many other connections that can also be bad.

·
Registered
328 Posts
also, clean the grounds on the starter!
I know I have pics of it somewhere...in one of my first threads here

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. Here is what happened. Car sat for 1 night pushed into garage, still bitter cold. Next morning went to start to diagnose problem and car started right up. Ran for a while shut off and came back later still started. Has not reoccurred since. Still think it's a starter issue that will return once it gets cold enough.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Could be so, but before trying to pull the starter I'd be sure to check and clean all the starter connections. I don't have a V6 but I've heard that some of the electrical accessories are a real PITA to replace.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Still think it's a starter issue that will return once it gets cold enough.
It might be but when I had the exact same thing happen to me (02 GLX 4Mo Automatic Wagon 2.8L ATQ 125K miles at the time), independent of the weather. I could never get it to replicate the problem when I wanted. if you read my thread you can see how many other things we thought it might be.....

The only thing I did was clean those grounds as I described in the other thread. its been at 10 months since I posted the issue and there have been 0 starting issues since I cleaned the grounds.

Clean your battery contacts and the chassis to battery ground point (as well as the starter/alternator to chassis ground)...infinitely easier and cheaper than replacing the starter. I am willing to be that its just your grounds.

You can send me the money and time you save on not replacing your starter :)

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
Please pay attention to where you post. The Info base is not for this. Ever since the forum software changed, no longer requiring a two post minimum, we've had countless new members just shoot off a new thread in just about every forum BUT the one it belongs in. If one would just read the stickies, it wouldn't happen nearly this often.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please pay attention to where you post. The Info base is not for this. Ever since the forum software changed, no longer requiring a two post minimum, we've had countless new members just shoot off a new thread in just about every forum BUT the one it belongs in. If one would just read the stickies, it wouldn't happen nearly this often.
Confused by your statement, this is listed under B5 discussion with all the other concerns/questions.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,586 Posts
It is now because I moved it. You posted this in the Information Base forum originally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts