Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thanks for taking a look.

I was following this fantastic guide on refreshing the PCV system today, and it was largely a huge success. However; when I went to button everything back up I noticed a stray tube and could not for the life of me remember seeing this when I was taking it apart or in the pictures of the guide. The images I can see show it going beneath the air duct tube thing, but I have no idea where it plugs in to. Does anyone know where this rogue wire is supposed to be going? I've been working on my car all day and I'm getting pretty lost. I don't want to be stupid and just disregard it entirely but I'm not finding any place to plug it into :confused:

Please see the attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That hose goes to the EGR valve second picture
Thank you for the quick response! I can't find where the EGR valve actually is. My chilton's manual doesn't have any pictures and I'm not quite sure what to look for in a google image search. Is it pictured in any of my photos that I uploaded?

As there are no EGR valves on these engines, I guess he means the SAI Valve.
Oh I see! I'm having a hard time finding the actual valve part to slide this tube over, but from what I can see from google, the SAI is that silver cylinder looking thing. Is the valve hidden somewhere around there in the picture attached to this response? I've got the "rogue tube" fit into the allen bolt right next to it.

EDIT: I think I've found it. Bad news though, it doesn't look like a traditional valve that I can slide the tube over, I think I must have severed it somehow when getting to my suction pump :( although maybe it was severed before. My car would beep saying emissions workshop even after I took my car to a mechanic to have them fix an o2 sensor. Could a severed vacuum hose also give me that same beep and "emissions workshop" on the display?

Does anyone know how long I can drive like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
It looks like the plasic tube snapped off right at the vacuum line. Extract that, then insert the end of the tube back into the hose. Yes, it willcause a CEL and the emissions workshop on the dash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It looks like the plasic tube snapped off right at the vacuum line. Extract that, then insert the end of the tube back into the hose. Yes, it willcause a CEL and the emissions workshop on the dash.
What do you mean by "extract" ? Sorry I'm really new to all this DIY automotive work. Do you mean widen the hole in the larger part of the tube so I can slip the smaller tube inside or what exactly am I pulling out?

Attachments

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The end of the plastic tube is broken off inside the rubber hose. Most of the time, you can use a small wood screw, put it into the plastic line and pull it out of the rubber hose. If you can not do that, cut 1/2" off the rubber hose and try again. Then insert the end of the plastic tube back into the rubber hose.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's been a few years since I replaced my hard lines with silicone but I believe I simply removed that whole rubber piece that the hard line fit into and then slid the 3.5mm silicone line directly onto the metal SAI pipe nipple.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I did the same when I had my V6. The plastic tubes are so brittle when they get old that they constantly snap when handled.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The end of the plastic tube is broken off inside the rubber hose. Most of the time, you can use a small wood screw, put it into the plastic line and pull it out of the rubber hose. If you can not do that, cut 1/2" off the rubber hose and try again. Then insert the end of the plastic tube back into the rubber hose.
It's been a few years since I replaced my hard lines with silicone but I believe I simply removed that whole rubber piece that the hard line fit into and then slid the 3.5mm silicone line directly onto the metal SAI pipe nipple.
Thanks for all the help you guys! I'll try my hand at your suggestions tomorrow after work. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts