Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone who takes the time to read this post, I greatly appreciate it, and any input to help me get this thing up and running. I'm new to the Volkswagen world and I took on a pretty big challenge I recently bought a 2003 1.8T Passat pretty much in boxes and trunk engine code on the heads show AWM guy only wanted $200 so I couldn't refuse plus it is a super clean straight car. So I find the major problem the garage he had workin on it put the head gasket on upside down I corrected this so now I have the car starting and running. But I have to oil to the top end of the motor I have no idea where any of these hoses go and the crankcase has a major amount of blow back..... I'm mechanicly inclined but I'm no genius never worked on a vehicle with this many hoses I have a book on the car but nothing of any use so any point in the right direction a diagram of the vacuum hoses would help alot or experiences with these problems would help me alot. When I start the car I get a stop and loud beeping sounds

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
How many miles? the 1.8s have serious problems with sludge and general crap build up in their oil systems, especially if synthetic oil has not been used. Once this issue has been addressed the car will be fine and oil problems will be a thing of the past . First ,if possible get a Bentley manual, the "two" volume edition, same amount of content a single volume has, just not as unwieldy. Do not run with oil STOP on until oil issues are resolved. There are many tutorials on here for all your issues , welcome, be patient and methodical and you will have a great purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir thank u was up all night poking through post learning what I can I appreciate the tip ordering me a book today. It has 136k head was sent off shaved down new valves all the other goodies doings seats ext. Was afraid it was warped looked fine but I figured why not since I had it off already. So today I guess I'm dropping the oil pan and checkin the pick up tube. If I can figure oil pressure part out all I will have left is hooking these mess of vacuum lines up. Not sure on the concept I like to do things right every diagram I can find has something my passat doesn't have or is missing something my car does have lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
you can find used Bentleys EBAY, but they are the "Bible" and most comprehensive book, designed for the VW/Audi shop vs. weekend warriors. The dropping of the pan is technically a 2-3 level deal, but one must be methodical in doing it, step by step, you will need a long ??? 5mm allen ??? as couple of bolts are tucked up inside the flywheel area. The bolts are 7mm, I got replacements from McMaster Carr Supply and a bottom tap to clean holes out, They are probably pretty corroded. there is no gasket , you use a silicone sealer, I suggest Victor Reinz silicone sealer. You will want to pick up 2-3,long as possible 7mm bolts ,which you cut off heads and make "pilot" stems out of to guide pan into location upon reassembly. Dont waste your time trying to clean pick up tube/ screen as they are like 25 bucks, but if crap is baked on you can clean but it will only attract more crap, make sure to get new o-ring for it and on reassembly do not forget it, yes I have forgotten it. ....The subframe uses stretch bolts ,total of 6 just get new ones not worth the trouble, and can reuse at least once ,not recommended but O.K., I can tell you how to align or you can borrow my pins. The vacuum lines can be intimidating but in reality pretty straight forward, as is the PCV system....which gets clogged and leads to sludge,coke build up and eventual oil screen failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts