Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any data on how to disable the ASR light on the dash when it is off? An even better solution would be to just default it to off with the light off and push the button to turn it on(the light would illuminate to show that ASR is in face engaged, and I almost never drive with ASR on unless it is raining outside... so it doesn't really matter). Any help would be great, that light really does get annoying.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could someone give a good description on what exactly the ASR does. I have it engaged at all times, which is normal, or is it? It wouldnt effect gas mileage?
I was assuming it is like power from the wheels that slip to the ones that grip.
Being here in snowy Syracuse, it engages quite a bit on the slick roads.
Why would you not want it on at all times?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
ASR/ESP in lay-man terms is traction control on our cars. You probably have seen that light go off when you try to put too much torque on your wheels when roads conditions disallow. ASR/ESP keeps the "balance" of power delivered to your wheels based on how much grip the road can actually give the wheels, by sensing the rotational differences between wheels. It doesn't affect much gas mileage, but probably even reduces as you think of it that ASR/ESP stops the wheels/engine from spinning when it's not efficiently used to create motion for the car.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
im sure youll have to go dash diving

assumeing its not a led direcly in a circut board you could just put a switch in the line and turn it on or off at will

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dealer or anyone with a VAGCOM can recode your car so the default is Off, instead of on. Or at least I read this in another post. I'm not sure if that means the light will reverse and turn on when ASR is on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
stevecaz said:
The dealer or anyone with a VAGCOM can recode your car so the default is Off, instead of on. Or at least I read this in another post. I'm not sure if that means the light will reverse and turn on when ASR is on.
i have a vag-com, does anyone know how recode it so that asr is off by default?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
ASR is a subset of ESP.

ASR is kind of like anti-lock brakes for acceleration. If the car senses your wheels are spinning, it will cut back the throttle. (The cars with ASR are Drive-By-Wire, so this is trivial.) The only time it is actively doing anything is when the ASR light blinks in your dash. (So it does not really effect your gas milage one bit unless you are really heavy on the gas.)

ASR is standard on the Passat now.

ESP is an added-cost option. It has yaw and steering angle sensors to detect if the car is actually traveling in the direction you are steering it. If it detects your car is in a slide, it will selectively brake inside or outside wheels (via a hydraulic pump) to get your car pointed back where you are trying to go. It can do this even if your foot is not even near the brake pedal. ESP also has ASR.

SirWired

·
Registered
969 Posts
sirwired said:
ASR is a subset of ESP.
(The cars with ASR are Drive-By-Wire, so this is trivial.)

SirWired
ASR is not a subset of ESP. I have a 99 V6 with ASR and no ESP.
Also not all VW's with ASR are DBW. Mine is not.
VAG-Com cannot disable ASR. There is a thread on the Vortex on how to do this but you will have to search their archives. It involves adding a resistor to a circuit IIRC.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Trekie said:
sirwired said:
ASR is a subset of ESP.
(The cars with ASR are Drive-By-Wire, so this is trivial.)

SirWired
ASR is not a subset of ESP. I have a 99 V6 with ASR and no ESP.
Also not all VW's with ASR are DBW. Mine is not.
VAG-Com cannot disable ASR. There is a thread on the Vortex on how to do this but you will have to search their archives. It involves adding a resistor to a circuit IIRC.
Asr can be disabled with a vag-com, vortexers have been doing it to their golfs and jettas.http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=636764&page=2
now who knows the correct code for a passat?

·
Registered
249 Posts
According to both German and Japanese studies, ASR/ESP is the greatest preventer of accidents since ABS. I saw this on either 20/20 or PrimeTime (I forget which).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
citispot said:
According to both German and Japanese studies, ASR/ESP is the greatest preventer of accidents since ABS. I saw this on either 20/20 or PrimeTime (I forget which).
Accoring to me ASR/ESP is the greatest preventer of me getting power off the line and in corners! My car has too much power now, I want to get rid of this feature on start up but I still want the ability to turn it on with the button. Does anyone know if this is possable. I have searched on vortex and all they talk about is how to permantly dissable. :mad:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
citispot said:
Really? I thought I read somewhere that ABS, as a preventer of accidents, has not produced the results that were expected. I guess either that people still pump the brakes or can't mash the brake and steer at the same time.

http://www.usd.edu/~rlau/antilock.htm

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/lvabs.htm

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
citispot said:
In this instance I am talking about ASR, as my car does not have ESP. ASR has NEVER prevented an accident for me, in fact it does not even opperate unless you are moving slow enough to spin tires when you accelerate (how would this prevent an accident... if I was stupid enough to floor it when it was pouring rain and continue to floor it as I careened into a poll? Letting off the gas has the same effect). I notice a definate increase in power the second I click off ASR. The V6 is already slow enough without things to make it even slower :roll:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Your post just gave me a big grin. I find my V6 pretty quick, maybe it is because of my size 13 foot. :D ASR has saved me a buch of times on the freeway in pouring rain doing 65mph, no hydroplaning, just the little light winking at me. :wink:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Trekie said:
ASR has saved me a buch of times on the freeway in pouring rain doing 65mph, no hydroplaning, just the little light winking at me. :wink:
I dunno if it actually saved me, but I've seen the ASR light blinking a couple of times on the interstate in some heavy rain, so like Trekie, I know it works at speed.

At slow speeds, it pumps the ABS brakes. At higher speeds, it starts to dump engine power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts