Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This should be ok in the General Discussion although it is related to Audio. I bought an XM Satellite Radio tuner and am thinking about mounting it to the top of the ashtray, below the climate controls. It's small enough to fit there without obscuring the climate controls and I don't need the ashtray to be opened. However, if and when I should remove Satellite or sell the car I'd like to replace the ashtray lid which would then have screw holes in it. Can this part be replaced by itself and is it a difficult thing to do? Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Matt, why dont you just remove the center console and take out/dremel under the ash tray cover, its been done before, just do a search.
:thumbup:
Ryan

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan, I had looked at putting it into the ashtray but it needs to be tiled towards the back of the car to read the display. When you do that it makes it difficult to get out. I'll do a search but if you know who has done this please say so and I can PM them.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Depends on what your XM radio is. If it is XM commander, it fits fine in the ashtray. Gordy has done that and I am in the process. We both have sourced a complete ashtray assembly though. Not just the lid. It will cost you $40 +/- $10.

Here is the link to Gordy's pics.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the XM Roady2 so it's pretty small. If I were to cut out the cigarette lighter it would fit in the ashtray as is. The problem is that the display would then be tilted away from me.

I'd LOVE to be able to put it in the ashtray but it would have to be easily removable so I can take the tuner into my house (i have th ehome kit) and the display would need to be visible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Do you use the car pod in the house or does the home kit have a pod too. I mean the base into which the roady will go (like Palm/IPod/Clie - they have a base). The only problem would be wiring. If you have different bases for the car pod and the home kit, then you only hard wire the pod in the car. And the roday itself sits in it.

Coming to titling the display, you can fabricate your own 'bed' behind the pod. it could be a simple piece of plastic cut out from a box at an angle so as to raise the roady toward you. If you buy a separate ashtray assembly, you can cut it up to the spec you want. When you trade your car, you can swap out the modified one for the stock.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another20V,

There is no "pod" per se as the Roady2 is self contained. The power and FM Modulator are built into the tuner itself. And the thing is only 2.5"x4". So I just wanted the thing to sit in the ashtray. Didn't need it to be atached in there in anyway.

I only wish I was talented enough to alter an ashtray assembly to my own needs as you suggested. I am pretty shitty when it comes to doing things like that myself.

Curry,

I contacted GW-Mich but I should contact Lws of Kirk as well. Thanks.

I still don't know what to do...lol...But thats my own fault. I want it simple. I can take it to a custom place but of course they'll charge out the ass.

Matt

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
if it fits it the ashtray, take out the original, construct your own hold in there (nothing special) and then run the wires tru the bottom of the center console to hard wire it! You know what I mean!? If you take out the center console I'm sure you'll gett a TON of ideas for what to do! Come on... DO IT! 8)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I have also put a controller in the ashtray.

I had to modify the controller itself a little by shaving a few mm's of the sides of the plastic parts. It wasnt all that hard, it just took a little time to crack a hole in the case for the ashtray, and to remove the little ball clip peice that holds the tray in place. Once that was done, I just wired things up and then wedged the controller into the tray. I had it tilted slightly so I could still use the remote to change the CD's on the changer. It was pretty convenient and took maybe an hour to do. I would suggest getting a new tray assembly though as then you dont have to worry if you crack or break the other parts if you ever have to remove the XM reciever.

Have any other questions, just send me a PM.

Steve

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curry, when you say take out the center console, how much of it are you referring to? The whole thing? The piece around the shifter?

I do apologize for people sick of hearing repetetive posts on CB5 but hey, I'm technodeficient so bear with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Guys, he wants to be able to take it out of the car and use in the house with the home adapter. He can't really hard wire it. That is why I asked if the roady has any base pod that can stay in the car (hard wired), like the IPOD thing in the pictures in one of the links posted above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.