Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guess I'll make myself one of these profile threads ...

< THE STORY > - taken from My mom got one of these ... May 5, 2006

Back in the summer of 2003, we got our hands on this very nice 2000 GLS 5-speed (ATW) in Anthracite Blue. It was completely stock except for the window tint that we didn't even realize was a mod till much later. Within the first month, I convinced my dad to begin some subtle modding (after all, it was he who discovered vwvortex, clubb5, and the fact that these 1.8Ts were so mod friendly): 17" AT Italia S5's & Kumho Ecstas, Eibach lowering springs (no dampers till this year --- http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205177&highlight=eibach+delays), Silverstar bulbs, and K&N Air Filter were all paid for by my dad. The other little stuff was done by me:

- Disengaged DRLs
- "Passat" brake light decal
- 20V Turbo Badge
- Shorty Antenna

I know he always wanted to chip it, but he never did, because he never had the time to do the proper research required to convince him of the reliablity of this core mod. If he knew then what I know now (he passed away in late '04 :(), that we could've gotten chipped in town instead of sending the ECU off--which was another negative--and that these ECU upgrades have been proven time and time again, I know he'd have gotten the chip. Dad, I won't let you down! To you I dedicate all future mods!

Fast-forward to 2006. The Passat is my mom's daily driver, but she's ready to move on. She's in love with hatchbacks, so I recommend some for her to test drive (Cooper S, GTI, Mazda3--all manuals :cool: ). She even considered an '04 GTI VR6, and almost bought an '02 Passat GL ... until I stopped her. I couldn't imagine me driving a better equipped car, especially since I was getting mine essentially free from her. So finally on Tuesday, May 2, we found a well equipped Mazda3, in the color she wanted, at a price perfectly within the budget.

Yeah, I still wish she somehow could've gotten the Mk5 (think of the photoshoots I could've had!! *drool*) ... But equally equipped, it would have cost well over $6000 more than what my mom paid for the Mazda.

For my B5, first mods to come:
- Silicone vacuum hoses
- TT diverter valve
- Short shifter
- APR chip

A picture of when I first removed the pinstripe:

Thanks to ashman78 and SeattleReign for the reminder!

--------------------

< THE MODS > - Since then the mod list has grown of course ... :)

Performance & Engine
• K&N Drop in air filter - $45
• Silicone vacuum hoses - $13
• OEM Audi TT diverter valve (710N) - $38
APR chip race/93/91/stock/security lockout/fault code erase/throttle body alignment - $560
• B&M Short shifter #45141 - $180

Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes
17x7.5 AT Italia S5 wheels - $800
Fuzion ZRi Tires - $400+
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs - $220
Eibach Pro-Dampers ~ $430
• 225/40ZR-18 Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires - $537
• 18x8 Audi RS4 DTM replica wheels [ET35] - $613
• VW center caps 3B0 071 213 - $78
H&R sport springs 54773 - $249
Bilstein PSS9 coilovers – Fronts: 2.75" of thread leftover | Rears: Adjusters removed - $999
• H&R Trak Spacers – 8mm – Rear only [adjusted ET27] - $50
• ECS slotted rotors, front and rear - $270

Lighting
• DRLs disengaged - $0
"Passat" brake light decal - $15 :(
Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs H7 - $50
• OEM clear side markers - $33
• Euroswitch - $30
• Hella projectors with free clear corners - $349
McColluch 4700K HID kit - $279
• Headlight fuse (up 5 amps from stock) - $2.50
Depo clear corners (to replace free S.Koito ones) - $34
• X-pel headlight protection - $44
• OEM clear corners (to replace Depo ones) - $50

Exterior
"20V TURBO" Badge - $10
Eibach decal (rear quarter-window) - $0
• Short Antenna - $18
W8 Skid plate - $89
• Removed Pinstripe - $0
Zollkennzeichen tourist plate [ATW:B5NÜR] - $33
• Debadged PASSAT - $0
• JOM Badgeless Grille - $68
• Antenna Base ring - $8
W8 skid plate - $89
• Zollkennzeichen tourist plate [ATW:NÜRB5] - $38
• Shaved VW trunk logo - $27 (after insurance)
OEM New Beetle turbo badge - $18
OEM Porsche turbo badge - $30
• Dieselgeek Panzer alloy skid plate - $269

Interior
Leather Momo sphere knob - $0
• Redlinegoods.com shift boot - $46
• Aluminum piping (door & dash trim) - $140
• '03 GLX interior door panels - black leather - $208
• OEM center armrest cup holder - $25
• OEM center armrest lid - black leather - $150
• Monster Mats - $80
• Silver painted interior trim (DIY) - $64 (materials)
VW/Audi specific Leather Momo sphere knob - $115
OEM MkIV R32 three spoke steering wheel - $397
• OEM VW 3-spoke airbag - $133

Maintenance
87,000 miles Timing belt replacement/tensioner/roller+vac hoses & DV install - $927
• Front-left wheel bearing assembly - $380
• waterpump+thermostat/air conditioner bracket and pulley/coolant flush/oil change/filter - $643
• Replaced cam chain tensioner/both cam seals/waterpump belt - $471
116,000 miles ABS Module repair (Circuit Solutions) - $199
123,100 miles brake rotor/brake pad install/brake fluid flush/oil cooler O-ring seal replacement/oil change (shipped parts & labor) - $715
123,100 miles Raxles axles - $395

No longer equipped
Did not equip

< THE PICTURES >

03/20/08

--------------------

< THE SHOWROOM THREADS >
No rubber smell here ... Just pics.
I Like Big Turbo Better.
Sorry Ryan, but no tuckie.
She's gettin' old ...
Touching trim will result in the dismemberment of fingers.

< THE WISH LIST THAT NEVER CAME TO BE >

• Boost gauge
• Milltek exhaust
• Leather seats
• APR Stage III

:sleep:
LAST RECORDED ON 01/20/09 124271 MILES

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the brake light thing but have gone for putting it inside the car (PITA or what!)

Looking good, I'd have kept the pinstripe though it seems all those with them don't want them, and those without crave them.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the process of doing the brake light thing but have gone for putting it inside the car (PITA or what!)
When you do ... lemme know how you got back there. I've got a dead bug that I can't get rid of stuck between the brake lights and the window :mad:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Ah getting it out is simple. Get in the trunk/boot and look up. It simply unclips from the back shelf. I used a can of air to blow out the bugs.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally scheduled an appointment to get this fixed ... Hopefully the price won't rape me ... :nervous:

The service should also take care of the incessant squeaking that I get when going over bumps and making left turns ... been drivin' me nuts for months now ...!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah getting it out is simple. Get in the trunk/boot and look up. It simply unclips from the back shelf. I used a can of air to blow out the bugs.
I tried the can of air, but I couldn't place the tube or aim it correctly. Plus turning the can on its side hampers its effectiveness.

I'll look again for the clips ... I've looked several times before but I'm just missing it. I'll take pics later and post them up so you can guide me.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I'll see if I can get some shots of my cover removed, that should be easier for you to work out what's involved.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^Thanks a bunch ... It's fun having HIDs, huh?

Anyways ... haven't had time to get out there and clean behind the brake light, but in other news ...

I had the front-left wheel bearing assembly replaced as it was the only mechanical defect on my car (got a second opinion apart from the dealer). Also got the tires rotated (now my bent front rim is on the back; much less wobbly). But I still, still have this damn squeaking that's driving me mucking futz!!! I'm calling the mechanics back in the morning ...

... Just a little rant ...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The squeak is gone!!! I can drive my car through parking lots without embarrassment!

...It's still fugly underneath, but seeing that is nowhere near as noticeable as hearing the annoying squeaks ... which are now gone! ...You guys have no idea how happy this makes me ...

Now on to new wheels and tires!!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry had to post ... I got so excited ...

I ordered these bad boys yesterday from The Tire Rack. Showed up today!

The wheels shipped out this afternoon from Tampa, so I'm just waiting on those. Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had that decal for three and a half years now ... It's cracked and doesn't look too great in person anymore. I got it on ebaY from a seller that is no longer a member--at least under the same name. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna make a new one (by tracing it and transferring the copy onto some vinyl I've got lying around), but I just haven't gotten to it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple pics of one unboxed 18x8 RS4 DTM replica ...

I won't have a chance to mount these and my new tires until Thursday. Just in time for my final semester of commuting to school. So exciting!

And here's a final picture of my car with the old 17x7.5 AT Italia S5s.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Updated pics ...

And I'm well aware that I only have one center cap. When I found the part #, I had to special order it from the dealer. Since I wasn't 100% sure it would work, I only ordered one. Well it did, and three more are on the way.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts