Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah here i am on my way to work thursday morning on I64 going my normal speed at around 70mph along with traffic. i then hit a spot where there wasn't any cars at all, cuz i passed them all. so about 5 secs after passing the first car ahead, a trooper appears out of no where with his lights on :mad: . so i pull over and he gives it to me. he first walks all around my car and then comes to my window and says..........well sir there are many things wrong here, first of all you were going 70 in a 55, also your rear tire is bald, your windows are too dark, you have a euro plate up front, your car is too low, you have an aftermarket exhaust". while he's saying all these things.....i'm sitting here like "ah $hit i'm done and getting all scared :nervous: . i give him my license and registration and he goes back to his car. i'm sitting there thinking my cars going to get imponded or something or i'm getting arrested for some reason. so 20 mins later he comes back and says...."i don't feel like writing all those tickets and doing all that paperwork so i'm just going to give you one for 70 in a 55 and one for having a bald rear tire.

I then breathe.......a BIG sigh of relief................whewwwwwwwwww :) :oops:

So.....i really can't be that mad about the ticket, huh. i mean it could have been alot worse. he could have given me a ticket for everything. now that would have sucked hella bad :nervous:

Hopefully i'll be able to get them dropped though because i'll have a receipt of the new tire and i'm going to a speed calibration shop for the speedometer.

Has anyone dealt with a speed calibration place before? has it worked in court?

TIA :wink:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
PanaSSat24 said:
...i'm going to a speed calibration shop for the speedometer.

I have never known that to work in any court. Usually, the judge will still tell you that you're ultimately responsible for your vehicle and it's maintenance and send you along your way with a fine. I hope that in your case that it does work and you can set a precedent for the rest of us! :lol: Good luck!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
well sir there are many things wrong here, first of all you were going 70 in a 55, also your rear tire is bald, your windows are too dark, you have a euro plate up front, your car is too low, you have an aftermarket exhaust". while he's saying all these things.....i'm sitting here like "ah $hit i'm done and getting all scared . i give him my license and registration and he goes back to his car. i'm sitting there thinking my cars going to get imponded or something or i'm getting arrested for some reason. so 20 mins later he comes back and says...."i don't feel like writing all those tickets and doing all that paperwork so i'm just going to give you one for 70 in a 55 and one for having a bald rear tire.
Standard operating procedure...if you're not a smartass when they pull you over, they'll talk up a lot of stuff, when give you a ticket for the original issue (speeding). They want, almost demand, that you say, "Thank you!" :crazy:

So, the rear tire really was bald? Curious, how come only one and not the other on that axle?

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Altair 4 said:
So, the rear tire really was bald? Curious, how come only one and not the other on that axle?
Oh yeah....i had already changed out the right rear a few months ago. so its kinda lop sided :weirdo: . the right rear's tread is halfway done and the left is new :weirdo:

but i have a ?, my car is lowered right......and the camber is off, the tires are slanted in. but the tread is going out on the outer part of the tire, why is that :???:

·
Registered
176 Posts
PanaSSat24, I know how you feel - literally :mad:
Same thursday on my way from SC i got ticket on I-81 in VA (84 in 65).
Now get this: my ticket says "reckless driving" apparenly any driving (including speeding over 80mph) in VA is "reckless" (see the link below).
Wait, it's getting better - "Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor - in the same classification as a DWI charge" according to this site:
http://www.vatrafficlaw.com/reckless.html
So, thank you very much fine folks of VA for my new found CRIMINAL record :roll:
I'll try to fight this thing, but not so sure of the outcome
Heres some more info for you:
http://www.motorists.org/Attorneys/virginia.html
HTH

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
lobich said:
PanaSSat24 said:
...i'm going to a speed calibration shop for the speedometer.

I have never known that to work in any court. Usually, the judge will still tell you that you're ultimately responsible for your vehicle and it's maintenance and send you along your way with a fine. I hope that in your case that it does work and you can set a precedent for the rest of us! :lol: Good luck!
I know one case where that did work -- me! :D This was many years ago, probably around 1981, but I got pulled over for speeding in VA heading from Richmond to Virginia Beach (don't recall the road, but it was the main interstate or whatever). Anyhow, it really pissed me off because I had set the cruise control for 5 over the limit and I was staying in the flow of traffic -- not really passing or being passed. There was a fair amount of traffic, but my younger brother was with me and, being the smartass that he can sometimes be, he gave a great big grin and wave at the cop on side of the road as we passed. I think it just pissed the cop off so he pulled me over. I bitched a lot about how I was set to 5 over, yet he said I was doing 10 over and even showed me his reading on his radar gun. After asking around, I went and had the car calibrated (and fixed, because it was out of calibration), took the paper work to court, and the ticket was dismissed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UA_Variant said:
my ticket says "reckless driving" apparenly any driving (including speeding over 80mph) in VA is "reckless" (see the link below).
Dang i always thought it had to be just 20 over for it to be reckless. something had to have changed because some parts of the hwy is 65 :weirdo:

Arj, hopefully my speed calib will work, lets hope so :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts