·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay earlier this mounth i got a CEL emissions work shop

that would show up and then go away

over about the course of a week

its been out for a solid 2-3 weels

FINALLY i got my obd-2 reader and i got the code that was stored ( yes there was no cel and yes there was a code stored ( the dealer and shop didnt seem to belive me when i said they are stored)

anyway i got a P0118 = Engine coolant Tempeature Circut , HIGH INPUT

is there anyway that that could be related to my emission workshop CEL

either way what should i be doing

i was thinking of replacing the sensor but ill wait till i hear back from the great wisdome of the forum

·
Registered
445 Posts
P0118 = Engine coolant Tempeature Circut , HIGH INPUT
I would say replace the coolant sensor. The coolant temperature is related to emissions (rich / lean I think it is). I got the same error on mine, replaced it and no more errors. Cheap fix for a little satisfaction. :D

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
Replace the sensor,check your vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You shouldn't have to empty the system. It's right on the top of the engine. I beleive it's green or blue or maybe black. Yup, I think those are the colors.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the haynes manual said you would have to drain some of the coolant

since im going to be doing that

should i just flush the entire system while im at it

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you want to go that extra mile, sure. Can't hurt. But make sure you put back in the Stealership pink stuff for long life. :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw pink stuff at walmart for 6 bucks ( it says for GM new coolant ( good for 5 years or 105,k miles

can i use that

do you dilute it with water?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't think so. VW has it "specially formuted" for the block and head. Don't know for certain though. I think it's LLC(Long Life Coolant) mainly. Anyone else know?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's known as G12 coolant. It is NOT GM long life antifreeze or basically any stuff you can get in any 'regular' stores. You can get it places like www.ecstuning.com, I believe, for between about $13-20 a gallon, I can't remember what I paid. and also, you only put in a half of a quart of coolant for every quart of capacity you have in your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
redputter1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing