Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just felt like posting this. I run a hard rock and metal webzine, so it's kinda my life to track down new and upcoming bands. Just wanna see if there's any metalheads on here. Just felt like posting some links to some bands I think kick ass with some audio posted... yeh.

http://www.flashenhanced.com/36crazyfists/
http://www.letterkills.com
http://www.finchmusic.com/
http://www.lostprophets.com
http://www.coheedandcambria.com
http://www.maverick.com/storyoftheyear/site/

those are just some bands I really like right now. especially 36CF, huge fan of them... and Lostprophets.

but yeah, just felt like posting this. yeh.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I like music of all kinds and yes metal/hard rock falls into that category.

My all time favorite 'rock' band is Clutch. they have a new album coming out next month.
Lately I've been listening to Opeth, The Dilligner Escape Plan, Meshuggah, a little Candiria (a bit harsh for my tastes), a Static Lullaby, Arch Enemy, Corrosion of Conformity (yeah it's stoner rock.. so what?)

Foetus and Calamity Incorporated (Jim Thirlwell), Fear factory, Sepultura etc.. are some of my classic favs. Bear in mind I have no 'scene'. I just buy music and listen to it. I even own all of Tori Amos' Albums. :suspicio: I like 'artists'. :thumbup: I like techno alot too, and hip hop, and classical. You know... everything but Pop, Hip Pop and Pop country.

Sadlly I have no musical ability. Can't even keep a beat :cry:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Word, that's awesome. Great selection of rock bands. A Static Lullaby and Arch Enemy are some of my favorites. Fear Factory as well. I listen to a lot of music as well, but it doesn't usually stray too far from elecric guitars.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm mostly into Death Metal (Dying Fetus, Ossuary Insane, CorpseVomit, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc...). I still listen to the older Metallica and their latest album was an improvement over some of their newer releases. Always loved Slayer.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Iron maiden all the way :bow:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I am metal head and always will be. Hessian for life even though I am a short hair.

However, I don't care for many of the newer metal bands. It has to be sort of old school or just unique to get my attention since I have heard so many bands through the ages. I have gone through so many phases of metal from Hard Rock to Grindcore. Here is a couple of bands I like.

Newer bands: System of a Down, Slipknot, Shadowfall, Grip Inc.
Nu Metal: Incubus, Linkin Park, Korn (originator of Nu Metal)
Death Metal: Obituary, Massacre, Death, Deicide, Bolt Thrower
Grindcore: Napalm Death, Brutal Truth
Old School: Slayer, Sepultura (w/ Igor), Metallica (Pre-black album), Nuclear Assault, Exodus, D.R.I., Anthrax (old), Dark Angel, S.O.D., M.O.D., Testament, Sacred Reich, and Iron Maiden :bow:

There is a lot more, but Old School and the Newer bands are what I listen to most.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lostprophets rock....been listening to them for year now :thumbup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I am Old School - I haven't even heard of some of these bands, but that is why I love threads like this - great information for me to go check out. :thumbup:
Bands that I like and still listen to:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Armored Saint
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Dio
Metallica
GWAR
Megadeth

Groups I have listened to in the past but not very much any more because I just have them on cassette tapes:
Grim Reaper
Stormtroopers of Death
Laas Rocket
Cirith Ungol
And many others from my high school/college days

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
OK, I have no idea who 90% of these bands are but I have to say
that my whole love of rock stems from the guitarists. If they got
some serious talent, not just a bunch of power chords with distortion,
then I will give them a listen.

Ozzy Osbourne in the Randy Rhoads days.
Racer X had some talent all around.
Steve Vai and Joe Satriani...awesome.
Eddie Van Halen...during a solo...
Stryper...their harmonized guitar solos were tight!
Stanley Jordan. He's actually a jazz guitarist who plays via fingertapping.
Both hands on the neck of the guitar. Sometimes 2 guitars at once.
John Williams. Straight classical but simply amazing to watch and hear.
OK back on track here...last but not least...

Yngwie Malmsteen. My all time favorite.
Crazy fast neoclassical style. Incredible guitar skills.

I know there's alot more but I can't think right now...
(hmm...Prince...Vandenberg...Impelliteri...Loudness...etc.)

-Gene

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Indigo_Wolf said:
I guess I am Old School - I haven't even heard of some of these bands, but that is why I love threads like this - great information for me to go check out. :thumbup:
Bands that I like and still listen to:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Armored Saint
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Dio
Metallica
GWAR
Megadeth

Groups I have listened to in the past but not very much any more because I just have them on cassette tapes:
Grim Reaper
Stormtroopers of Death
Laas Rocket
Cirith Ungol
And many others from my high school/college days
GEEEZ....S.O.D. havent' heard that for 15 years man!

I actually first heard Metallica in '82 on KMET in LA. 22 years ago. I was dating a 20 year old and she wouldn't believe they had been around that long.

I have two of the remastered Maiden CD's in my changer rigth now. Pretty cool to get all this old music remastered. Huge difference if you have a good system. In fact, I have every one of the first batch of bands you mentioned in the car right now except Armored Saint and GWAR.

Other good old school headbanging music:

Old Queensryche was pretty cool, before they toned it down. All the way up to Mindcrime.
Lizzy Borden
Motorhead (LEMMY!!!) I freakin' love Motorhead
Accept
Fastway (with Fast Eddie Clark from Motorhead)
Anything with Vivian Cambell on guitar

·
Registered
95 Posts
Postman -

I totally forgot about Queensryche - i am hoping they put something really good out since DeGarmo rejoined the band. I went ahead and bought The Warning and their EP on CD.

Also have Accept, Fastway and one Motorhead (1926 i think) - I also love COC (mentioned above)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
3U36 said:
OK, I have no idea who 90% of these bands are but I have to say
that my whole love of rock stems from the guitarists. If they got
some serious talent, not just a bunch of power chords with distortion,
then I will give them a listen.

Ozzy Osbourne in the Randy Rhoads days.
Racer X had some talent all around.
Steve Vai and Joe Satriani...awesome.
Eddie Van Halen...during a solo...
Stryper...their harmonized guitar solos were tight!
Stanley Jordan. He's actually a jazz guitarist who plays via fingertapping.
Both hands on the neck of the guitar. Sometimes 2 guitars at once.
John Williams. Straight classical but simply amazing to watch and hear.
OK back on track here...last but not least...

Yngwie Malmsteen. My all time favorite.
Crazy fast neoclassical style. Incredible guitar skills.

I know there's alot more but I can't think right now...
(hmm...Prince...Vandenberg...Impelliteri...Loudness...etc.)

-Gene
Great list. I was really surprised to see Stanley Jordan's name on there...he's insane. I started out on Satch and Vai and have expanded from there. Some of my favorites are:

Racer X
Liquid Tension Experiment
Opeth
Anthrax
Dream Theater
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
King's X (the original grunge band)
Planet X
Derek Sherinian
Virgil Donati
Sevendust
Paul Gilbert (Burning Organ rules)
Pain of Salvation

I play guitar, but I love drums (luckily, my brother has a set), so if it has great guitar playing and great drumming, I'm there. I'm also really into jazz (Jordan, Scofield, Metheney, etc.), some lighter progressive rock (Rush, Spock's Beard), and the blues (Eric Gales, Robert Randolph OWNS) but I'm always drawn back to hard rock/metal.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am a Metal/Rock fan.. My friend gone me in to the stuff in High School and since then i cant stop listening to it! I listen to just about any Metal that hits the ground, and since i live in SF i also get my hand on a lot of Indi shit that is pretty good.

But i will always be a true Metallica Fan as that is what started it all, first album i listen of there’s was Master of Puppets that my friend gave me and since then i have been hooked. Let me remind you i am only 19, and have been listen to them for about 3 years now. My first Rock concert was actually a Club Member only event at the Fillmore where they also gave everyone a taste of there new album.. that was just killer (well everything but the new album).

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
listened to a bunch in 8th grade and high school, then just last year I started craving it again. Got hold of a bunch of old 'tallica, maiden and sabbath. Then a friend of mine turned me on to Tool and I have pretty much been listening to them constantly ever since. Also liking System of a Down... good stuff.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Lamb of God is pretty good. Reminds me if Death and Slayer merged styles.

I just saw S.O.D. a year and half ago in SF. There was a fund raiser concert for Billy of Testament and Chuck of Death. Both had throat cancer. Chuck didn't make it, and he is unbelievable guitarist.

The bill was Flotsam and Jetsam, Forbidden Evil, Exodus, Death Angel, S.O.D., Anthrax, Testament. There was more on the bill too. Greatest concert since Clash of the Titans (Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer)

Of course, I like Judas Priest, Dio, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc.

For the guitarist fans out there, I agree on your list. Yngwie makes me laugh at his over/operatic production. However, he rips it up. I didn't see Alex Skolnik of Testament in there. He is insane too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
OCTICK
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing