Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a diagram that shows the Passat strut assy?

I'm having difficulties understand the lowering issues with our cars. People are saying things about lower perches affecting ride height, so my questions are:

1. Is the perch built into the strut and is non removable? How does perch affect ride height?

2. If the perch is removable, when you buy new suspension components (like Eibach), does it come with newer lower perches?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Go to Neuspeeds website http://www.neuspeed.com

Then go to their section on suspension and look at the "Bilstein Adjustable Perch (front) Shocks" .

The perch is part, but separate from, the shock. In fact, I'm pretty sure someone was able to get a different model year perch for his car so that it helped with the "butt drag" stance. I think mid 2000 VW changed the perch design, it's the Pre 01 models you need to worry about.

Also, Eibach does indeed offer a different perch if you ask for it.

Annndddd just to make things a little more confusing...
Some folks are getting a "butt drag" stance even though their car ist an 02 or 04 model year, because Eiback springs lower "equally" all the way around.
Some spring manufacturers try to make up for this inherently VISUAL dilemma by making the springs shorter in the front than the back. And if you look carefully at your car, you will see that there is indeed a VISUAL difference of how the wheel gap appears and thus becomes pronounced when lowering.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, that is helpful.

Questions now:

1. Is the Spring Seat (item #30 above) the same as the perches everyone talks about, and is this what determines ride heigth?

2. Do the perches bottom out somewhere on a ridge on the gas shock? If so, then do aftermarket suspensions shocks have a ridge that is lower so the perch sits lower?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The primary factor determining ride height is the springs. Most aftermarket suspension set-ups use springs that are shorter than stock springs. The location of the spring seat has some effect on the ride height, but not as much as the spring

The spring seat (#30) rests on a ring, which is located on the body of the strut (#41) (the ring doesn't have a number in this diagram, but you can see it drawn about 1/2 way down the strut cylinder). The ring, in turn, is located by a groove in the body of the strut. Most struts only have one such groove. (That's the way my Bilsteins are.) In fact, some struts have the spring seat welded to the strut body. (I believe that's how the stock struts are.) However, some Bilsteins come with multiple grooves, two above and two below the standard groove location, so you can fine tune the ride height by mounting the ring higher or lower. (That's the way Neuspeed Bilsteins are.) That adjustment can only be accomplished by removing the spring from the strut and it only works on the front. Coil-overs differ in that rather than a single groove or even several grooves, they have a threaded section that allows the spring seat to be moved up and down without removing the spring.

As for whether aftermkt struts have lower mounting points for the spring seat (aside from Bilsteins with adjustable spring seat locations), I would guess that there's some variation, but I don't know if it's significant. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

Patrick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts