Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I don't have documentation, but in case you don't find any, you should be able to use both kinds of plugs in your car, because I can go to my dealer and buy either kind as "OEM" parts.

I'm guessing, though, that the platinums are "more OEM" than the copper ones are, because people have gotten used to having platinum plugs and they don't like having them wear out every 5,000 miles like copper plugs do.

Either way, you'll want to use single-electrode plugs, not triple-electrode plugs. (ALWAYS use the same plug design as the plugs that came with the car -- you don't know why the engineers picked the design they picked.) If you get the copper plugs they should be one heat range hotter than the platinum ones, because copper conducts heat better than platinum does and you don't want the plugs to cool off too fast between combustion cycles or else they'll get gunked up. (Yes, copper conducts heat better than platinum; however, platinum has a higher melting point, hence its longer lifespan.)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I don't have documentation, but in case you don't find any, you should be able to use both kinds of plugs in your car, because I can go to my dealer and buy either kind as "OEM" parts.

I'm guessing, though, that the platinums are "more OEM" than the copper ones are, because people have gotten used to having platinum plugs and they don't like having them wear out every 5,000 miles like copper plugs do.

Either way, you'll want to use single-electrode plugs, not triple-electrode plugs. (ALWAYS use the same plug design as the plugs that came with the car -- you don't know why the engineers picked the design they picked.) If you get the copper plugs they should be one heat range hotter than the platinum ones, because copper conducts heat better than platinum does and you don't want the plugs to cool off too fast between combustion cycles or else they'll get gunked up. (Yes, copper conducts heat better than platinum; however, platinum has a higher melting point, hence its longer lifespan.)
no, i'm not just looking for your posts, but my AWM uses multi-electrode. that's what came out and what went in about a month ago when I did my 40K service. the new plugs were purchased at my dealer and the part numbers matched what came out, which were the original plugs. i don't know if they were platinum or not because i didn't look that close and since they matched i didn't care.

along those same lines other awm owners have reported having single electrode plugs but i can't say if theirs were the original plugs of not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For my 2003 1.8T AWM, when I replaced my original plugs at 40k miles, they were single-electrode platinum, PFR6Q. I replaced them with the same plug, NGK PFR6Q.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
For my 2003 1.8T AWM, when I replaced my original plugs at 40k miles, they were single-electrode platinum, PFR6Q. I replaced them with the same plug, NGK PFR6Q.

Ditto, just did my plugs a few days ago and they were a single platinum.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
no, i'm not just looking for your posts, but my AWM uses multi-electrode. that's what came out and what went in about a month ago when I did my 40K service. the new plugs were purchased at my dealer and the part numbers matched what came out, which were the original plugs. i don't know if they were platinum or not because i didn't look that close and since they matched i didn't care.

along those same lines other awm owners have reported having single electrode plugs but i can't say if theirs were the original plugs of not.
The info I have is straight from Rusty. He tends to be a reliable source of information about 1.8t's.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The info I have is straight from Rusty. He tends to be a reliable source of information about 1.8t's.
No, Rusty is a reliable source of AEB info, which is QUITE different from the AUG and AWM motors. Not to mention, i know what I took out of the car so in this case I think I'll trust my eyes instead of Rusty's opinion. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
No, Rusty is a reliable source of AEB info, which is QUITE different from the ATW, AUG and AWM motors. Not to mention, i know what I took out of the car so in this case I think I'll trust my eyes instead of Rusty's opinion. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fixed for ya paul.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
No, Rusty is a reliable source of AEB info, which is QUITE different from the AUG and AWM motors. Not to mention, i know what I took out of the car so in this case I think I'll trust my eyes instead of Rusty's opinion. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Funny how that excuse doesn't work when I try to use it.

Anyway, it's worth keeping in mind that other people with late-model engines have pulled out the kind of plug I said they'd have, so it's possible there was a design change before them and after you, or that a previous trip to your dealer resulted in them installing triple-electrode plugs because that's all they had. I've been the victim of such "safe swaps" before.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Funny how that excuse doesn't work when I try to use it.

Anyway, it's worth keeping in mind that other people with late-model engines have pulled out the kind of plug I said they'd have, so it's possible there was a design change before them and after you, or that a previous trip to your dealer resulted in them installing triple-electrode plugs because that's all they had. I've been the victim of such "safe swaps" before.
I think it was a design change since I don't let dealers work on my car.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I think it was a design change since I don't let dealers work on my car.
Mm. Smart man. Anyway, you might want to try the single-electrode plugs that other people have been using, to see if it makes a lick of difference. As far as I know, all the drive-by-wire engines have the same cylinder heads, so what works for one should work for all.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Mm. Smart man. Anyway, you might want to try the single-electrode plugs that other people have been using, to see if it makes a lick of difference. As far as I know, all the drive-by-wire engines have the same cylinder heads, so what works for one should work for all.
I dont think they do, atleast they dont have the same valve covers, Also newer then ATW had VVT I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What he said. This is what I pulled out of my car, and the new plugs that I put back into it. I believe he is correct that they are platinum (they better be - they were $11+ a piece). I can confirm that they are single electrode.

Hope that helps....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts