Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have noticed some cars in the opposite direction flash their high-beams at me. So tonight, I just checked the headlights and realized that they really shined too high. My car is equipped with leveling sensors. I don't know if the sensors are broken, or the headlights just need some adjustment. Any suggestions pls. TIA

·
Registered
19 Posts
OMG! This has been happening since I've had the '07. I have the auto-leveling Bi-Xenon and people are getting angry with me all the time... People who I drive behind as well as people coming the opposite way. At first I thought it was just cause of the Bi-Xenon, but I finally really noticed that my lights are too high. It would be the equivilant of the high-beams on my old car. I really don't know what to do but I'm going to take it to the dealer to see whats up... I'll post my findings once I find out. BTW, yes, these lights have a self check once the car turns on... but they level at the high point. Don't know how to adjust these.. but I know my friend has a Murano and he can manually adjust these through the menu inside. Please post if you know whats going on or if the same happens to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shouldnt these do a self test when you turn the car on, year model(I assume w8)
Oh! it's a 2006 B6 3.6. I used to have a B5.5 when I registered my user name. Yeah, they do a self test when I start the car, but I still get people flashing high beam at me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG! This has been happening since I've had the '07. I have the auto-leveling Bi-Xenon and people are getting angry with me all the time... People who I drive behind as well as people coming the opposite way. At first I thought it was just cause of the Bi-Xenon, but I finally really noticed that my lights are too high. It would be the equivilant of the high-beams on my old car. I really don't know what to do but I'm going to take it to the dealer to see whats up... I'll post my findings once I find out. BTW, yes, these lights have a self check once the car turns on... but they level at the high point. Don't know how to adjust these.. but I know my friend has a Murano and he can manually adjust these through the menu inside. Please post if you know whats going on or if the same happens to you.

Thanks.
I just made an appointment today and would take my car to the dealer for inspection next Tuesday. I will keep updated.:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks.
I had my headlights adjusted today, and they now look normal as they should be. However, adjusting the headlight rises another problem. Now, when I drive my car, the display shows "AFS inoperative see your owner's manual". I think the technician must have done something wrong while adjusting my headlights. I am going back to the dealer again first thing in the morning. Hopefully, it won't happen to you

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car is at the dealer now. He said that he's going to connect it to the computer now but he thinks that people are just too sensitive. I told him that they are actually too high. I'll see what he says. He is going to check if the sensors come back with any readings. I'll post as soon as I find out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice of him to check computer readouts. He should also put your car in front of a target and check the aim of both low and high beams since that's what you're complaining about. This is my second car with bi-xenons, and I've never had another driver flash me about them.

I think most people are used to seeing them now, so if you're getting regularly flashed then (1) your lights are improperly aimed; or (2) your neighborhood contains an unusually large number of idiots or a**holes. Number 1 is more likely since the geographical distribution of idiots seems uniform.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car is at the dealer now. He said that he's going to connect it to the computer now but he thinks that people are just too sensitive. I told him that they are actually too high. I'll see what he says. He is going to check if the sensors come back with any readings. I'll post as soon as I find out.
Today I went back to the dealer for the AFS warning and found out that nothing was wrong or improper. It showed because the headlight system was resetting. Anyway, the warning just showed up for few minutes and then gone. My dealer had never had this problem before, but they were nice and patient enough for find out for me. Now, my headlights are aimed properly. If your dealer still think people are too sensitive, tell them my story

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm having the exact same problems and this was the best match I could find in a search.

I've got a 2007 B6 wagon with the Bi-Xenon auto leveling lights and I get flashed by about 50% of the cars on the road and it's ridiculously annoying. I live in the SF bay area and so it's not like I'm the only car out there with Xenons - I think they must be aimed wrong. Last night an oncoming car actually swerved towards us after repeatedly flashing his high beams - a little bit of road rage I guess. I don't need other cars swerving into me with a 10 month old in the back seat. :(

I took the car in for the 15000 mile service to the dealer who normally does decent work and they told me that the lights couldn't be adjusted, they were auto-leveling, auto-adjusting, and that people just weren't used to the brights. I don't buy this answer - can they be adjusted? If so, what exactly do I need to tell them to do? Get computer readouts?

Skillsflow if you're still around 4 years later, do you remember the outcome of your scenario? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have these headlights too and they CAN be adjusted; my dealer just adjusted mine. There are nylon nuts on the tops of the housing that can adjust the xenon lamp "shutter" height and the software setup can be used to re-calibrate the system.

Find another dealer who knows what they're doing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have these headlights too and they CAN be adjusted; my dealer just adjusted mine. There are nylon nuts on the tops of the housing that can adjust the xenon lamp "shutter" height and the software setup can be used to re-calibrate the system.

Find another dealer who knows what they're doing!
Yeah that's what I thought... I definitely felt like it was a bit of a cop-out on their end. I doubt an adjustment is covered under my warranty, so I almost wonder if it would be better to just take it to an indy mechanic that actually knows their stuff and get it done right the first time...... thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought... I definitely felt like it was a bit of a cop-out on their end. I doubt an adjustment is covered under my warranty, so I almost wonder if it would be better to just take it to an indy mechanic that actually knows their stuff and get it done right the first time...... thanks for the info!
If you take it to an independent mechanic make sure they specialize in Audi/VW/Porsche so they can properly talk to the on-board computer calibration software. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts