Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would throw this out there. My 99 GLS 1.8T doesn't have one. The garage I take my car to noted that it was missing - should I get one? What does a belly pan really get you? It looks like it's more of a complication than added value from the searches I've done here.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Keeps crap out of the engine bay, keeps your wheel well liners from blowing into the tires and wearing out, helps to protect the oil pan from debris.

Nope, you don't need it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I just scrapped mine, Its a pain in the ass and only makes oil changes more expensive. I am looking into a skid plate that is on the tex made for us lowered people who worry contstantly about shredding the oil pan. Only downside is its around 250 so I'm leaning towards just being more careful when I drive.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Stops your front wheelwell liners from being pushed into your front tires at Interstate speeds, thereby preventing them from being rubbed through.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I would not buy anything stronger than the stock one. It is meant to be shred into pieces if need be. Getting a stronger one or beefing up the mounting hardware could cause other parts to be shredded.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Altair 4 said:
Stops your front wheelwell liners from being pushed into your front tires at Interstate speeds, thereby preventing them from being rubbed through.
Absolutely, due to accident which ripped pan off (bottomed out on a narrow farm road in MD), I drove for about a week without one because dealer did not have it in stock. During a heavy rain on I70 the LF liner was pushed into the wheel putting a softball size hole in the liner.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I haven't had one since December, where I've put about 2000 miles on my car. I changed the TB and the last thing I wanted to get in my way was that pain in the ass belly pan, so I just left it off...and it's still sitting in my garage.

Oh BTW, no holes in my wheel well liners either :rolleye:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My '98 has been going "commando" for over two years and has been exposed to some torrential rain at highway speeds down here in Florida. Oh, and I'm running on Eibach sports so I'm moderately dropped.

No problems so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. There certainly is a lot of controversy on this topic! It looks like the W8 Belly Pan (P/N: 3B7825235A) will work on my 99 1.8T. I've got a small tear in one of my wheel well liners - on the positive, it's on the same side as the intercooler, so I guess this will let air pass freely through it! Anyway, Im going to pull the trigger and get one. Other than creating a flimsy looking hatch, has anyone modded their belly pan to make oil changes less painful?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i havnt a belly pan since i got the car. i zip tied the wheel liners to the body. otherwise ive had no problems.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My first Passat went 215k miles without one. Didn't have any problems only drove on gravel about once maybe twice a year. Did have holes in the wheel liners but this just improves flow to the Intercooler ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom Parish said:
This topic been posted about 1,000 times. Try doing a search.:crazy:
Search??? Whats that???? :p Maybe you didn't read the last sentence of my original post... "It looks like it's more of a complication than added value from the searches I've done here." Besides everything is posted about 1,000 times here - That's the beauty of this forum!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Diggman30 said:
Search??? Whats that???? :p Maybe you didn't read the last sentence of my original post... "It looks like it's more of a complication than added value from the searches I've done here." Besides everything is posted about 1,000 times here - That's the beauty of this forum!
bahahahahhahahahah YEAH!!!! you totally worked him, very nice...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Diggman30 said:
Errr... if you did search, and realized that there are about 20 different answers in every on of the many threads on this topic, why did you open up yet another thread, asking the exact same question, surely knowing you were going to get the exact same batch of mutually exclusive answers?

SirWired

1 - 20 of 38 Posts