Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably sold my 1.8t b5.5, cause i need. More fuel efficient vehicle since my job relocate me farther away. Been looking at mk4tdi wagon and came across a 2004 passat wagon tdi with 185000mi. Sone searching on the web and found that they have balance shaft and transmission issue. My plan is to keep the car another 4-5 years so she have to give me at least 60-70k miles without much trouble. Are they really that bad???

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2005 Passat Tdi that I really enjoy, except for the fight I am having with VW Canada over the corrosion warranty.
I had the vehicle converted to 5 sp manual due to a dead auto transmission.
So the transmission is definitely a potential problem area, as is the BSM.
IMO, before purchase you should ask about the following:
When was the timing belt done.
Was the BSM dealt with.
Were oil changes done regularly, with the proper oil.
Has the transmission fluid been changed on a regular basis.
How good are the brakes, tires and suspension components.
In my personal experience if the above points are taken care of then the vehicle should be good.
Others may also want to chime in with their experience.
I've been driving mine for about a year now and still enjoy it tremendously, even with the corroded doors and fenders.
The 185000 mi. should normally be nothing to worry about (except for possible transmission failure) if the vehicle has been well taken care of. You could very easily find a pristine example or a shit box, so check it over carefully.
ps. If I had to do the conversion over again, I would look for the best car that I could find, even if it cost more. I love it and hope to keep it for several years.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Actually I'm getting around 40 mpg (Canadian gallon) but I expected more and I'm hoping to improve it over time. The mileage doesn't seem to vary much between city/highway and I generally get 800+ km per tankfull in warm weather.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2005 Passat Tdi that I really enjoy, except for the fight I am having with VW Canada over the corrosion warranty.
I had the vehicle converted to 5 sp manual due to a dead auto transmission.
So the transmission is definitely a potential problem area, as is the BSM.
IMO, before purchase you should ask about the following:
When was the timing belt done.
Was the BSM dealt with.
Were oil changes done regularly, with the proper oil.
Has the transmission fluid been changed on a regular basis.
How good are the brakes, tires and suspension components.
In my personal experience if the above points are taken care of then the vehicle should be good.
Others may also want to chime in with their experience.
I've been driving mine for about a year now and still enjoy it tremendously, even with the corroded doors and fenders.
The 185000 mi. should normally be nothing to worry about (except for possible transmission failure) if the vehicle has been well taken care of. You could very easily find a pristine example or a shit box, so check it over carefully.
ps. If I had to do the conversion over again, I would look for the best car that I could find, even if it cost more. I love it and hope to keep it for several years.
Hope this helps.
Perfect answer.
They can be very expensive if nothing was done to it.
Balance shaft module is #1 question to ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you do not maintain your car properly and if you only wait for stuff to break before fixing then yes these can be expensive car.
The key word is preventative. I own two 05 Passat TDI BHW Wagons. Great Cars !

Everyone knows they have issues--
1. Balancer Shaft issue
2. Camshaft issue
3. Transmission issue

If I wanted a Prius ; I would have bought one a long time ago.
I absolutely love the way my B5.5 wagon drives and that is why we own two of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hans457, may I ask what PM have you done on the TDIs? Corrected the balance shaft? If so, what did you replace? the whole balance module with a gear-driven type? Eliminated the balance shaft module altogether and replaced the oil pump only with the chain driven type as found on the ALH? or replaced just the prone-to-fail components on the balance shaft module with new, e.g. sprockets, chain, chain guide and hex drive shaft? I ask because I have a used BHW engine and auto trans I picked up from our local pick-apart which is a rare find in our locale. I plan in the future to transplant it and a manual transmission to my B5 wagon. I agree, the B5/B5.5 wagons are just beautiful cars and drive very well despite their age. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Not sure whether Canada got the 2005 Passat TDI with a manual transmission as they (assumingly) did the 1998 Passat TDI with a manual transmission...but if they did, that'd eliminate one of the "issue" areas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure whether Canada got the 2005 Passat TDI with a manual transmission as they (assumingly) did the 1998 Passat TDI with a manual transmission...but if they did, that'd eliminate one of the "issue" areas.
i second that! Manual is the way to IMO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually I'm getting around 40 mpg (Canadian gallon) but I expected more and I'm hoping to improve it over time. The mileage doesn't seem to vary much between city/highway and I generally get 800+ km per tankfull in warm weather.
no way, how you make it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts