Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, reading a few posts about rotors this morning got me wondering about this. I've got an '02 4-Motion Wagon and the first rotors were severely warped within the first 15K miles. I replaced them with a set of cross-drilled (Breke?) rotors that seemed to get slightly warped within the next 15K miles. Now with 65k miles, the rears are still fine, and the fronts are still slightly warped (can notice a vibration on heavy braking). We really don't drive that fast, or on mountain roads regularly. What gives??? Did VW just under-engineer the size of front rotors needed for the weight of the V6 4-Motion Wagon, or what? Is the only solution to fork over $1-$2k for a full upgraded (larger diameter) Brembo setup? (not sure what this really costs...)
-mtbhead

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily a sizing problem, as much as a component quality.

If you think that they are undersized, you can use the rotor from a 99 A8, and caliper carrier from the Audi TT.

This will give you a 1" larger rotor, but you can use your same caliper. Much more affordable than a true BBK.

I've been running the A8 rotor (slotted, from ECS Tuning), for over 50k, and have not had a problem... just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It also could be that somebody overtorqued the wheel bolts. I had that happen in my wife's car. When I got the typical warped feeling in her brakes, I used a non-racheting 2 foot long torque wrench and it took over 140 lbs of force to get the wheel bolts unstuck. That can do it, too.

Mike

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
no, i dont think they are prone to warping, otherwise it would be a known problem with audi A4s too. i think mike might be correct about the cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts