Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Few updates again. Went on a trip to my grandparents and also made a little photoshoot.

Finally got a chance to finish my memory operated seats and mirrors install. Now the seats work with memory and also the mirrors. Also passenger side mirror tilts when I put car in reverse so the area of view is better.

Addition for making the car stiffer I managed to get my hands on original strutbar from Audi S6. It needs a little modification to make it fit but no problem there.

Finally installed battery/rain cover under the hood. Now it looks even better under there. Also finished up the S8 electric steering column install. Now when I turn the ignition on, steering wheel comes to last saved position and when I switch ignition off steering wheel goes up and in. Steering column was a direct fit, only the plastics need a little figuring and the wiring needed to be done to the steering column ECU.

And lastly a more rare item. Passat W8 dome light with backlight buttons and red LED mood lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Few days ago all the gears wen't "missing". Only gear I found was 3rd gear and so I cruised home in that gear. Today managed to change the broken piece. Needed to change the shift lever.

Old on the left and new on the right. Plate on the flat side is missing. Plate is for fixing it right :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nothing big has happened meanwhile. Just been driving around and enjoying. Got my summer wheels installed yesterday and been collecting some parts.

Need to finish blasting my brake calipers and paint them.
Got some parts like:
Front brake disks
Front brake pads
Front axle repair kit
Front calipers repair kits
Front calipers pistons
Driveshaft end
ABS sensor

Also waiting my S4 rear calipers to arrive and then will install them too.

Any ideas for caliper paint?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As always, long time no see.
Car was presented at the opening of renovated VW shop in Estonia.

Climate was filled with new freon and air guides for intercoolers installed. Painted the calipers.

Got my first times also. Streetrace season opening, my firstever run. SR302 my car

Figured out the rear lid opening from remote and also from door button. I had one VW Golf 4 rear lid opening motor laying around so I started retrofitting it when I suddenly realised that it is 1:1 fit. Needed to do the wiring only and everything works. Now only need to install the springs for fully opening the lid.

Finally installed the brakes, new control arms, drive shaft end etc.

Heard weird cracking noise from the rear when started driving to my country cottage this weekend. Went to my friends repair shop to figure out the problem. Turns out that the rear inner drive shaft end was broken. Got now piece and and changed it in an hour and on my way I was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Few gadgets for the car. New door lock and new chrome headlight switch and window switches.

Got myself some Thule roof racks

Got the remote mirror folding to work

Meanwhile my car was featured in the local magazine about the coming of the new passat.

Because the old tires were pretty much dead I had to buy completely new tires.

Just a little photoshoot. My old engine is installed in that green Audi A4 but soon it would be gone from there too and replaced with 4.2 V8

Greatest problem with the car was that the headlights weren't up for the job. I couldn't see anything. So I got my hands on Škoda Superb bi-xenon headlights, took the lenses from there and installed them into set of Depo headlights for passat. They work great and finally I can see something in the dark.

Also changed the spark plugs and discovered that the Y inlet pipe was cracked. Will replace it with OEM one later today.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you for the support!

Finally I got my hands on parts for the remote boot lid function.

And got it working too. At first it wasn't working as smoothly as I wanted but when I installed Febi 640n boot struts it works like a charm.

Lastly I ordered a pair of Hella Supertone horns and installed them. My old original horns were just too weak for the job. On the picture there is nr 32 socket for comparison. They are pretty big horns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally finished the steering wheel. It was working and everything but when I drove with my friends car that has the same steering wheel I realised how I need the lights also. So I installed some lights.

Had to haul big trailer

And some pictures. The green audi is Audi A4 '98 and powered by Audi S8 4.2L V8 265kw

Car was acting up lately. When accelerating the battery light came on and said no charge. When I slowed down the charging came back. When one time it didn't come back. My friend towed me home and I began investigating next day. Turns out that the alternator failed. So time for improvement. I had 120A alternator but since I have many accessories I thought bigger is better so I got 150A alternator from Audi S6 4.2 and installed it. Also changed the coolant tank for a better looking one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Happy new year everyone!
On the first day of the year we fired up the Passat and went for a little drive. My friend wanted to film something so we picked my really dirty and ugly car for that :D
There was no place to wash it but beauty wasn't the point. Trying to release something more exciting in the summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, just watching and reading all this is exhausting- but more importantly- what an extraordinary project! Don't suppose you'd like to come to Denver Colorado and spend a couple months playing with a 03 4 Motion W-8? I promise that it would provide you with all kinds of new challenges! Of course a place to stay and all the food and beer you want. OK- I just had to ask... David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi David!

I've sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it went through. So hit me up on facebook and we'll talk about it. https://www.facebook.com/ardi.ilves

So, just watching and reading all this is exhausting- but more importantly- what an extraordinary project! Don't suppose you'd like to come to Denver Colorado and spend a couple months playing with a 03 4 Motion W-8? I promise that it would provide you with all kinds of new challenges! Of course a place to stay and all the food and beer you want. OK- I just had to ask... David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For a long time I've had different problems with yellow warning lights on the cluster. One was ABS light (i've changed sensors over and over again) and other was check engine light because faulty lambda probes. Finally they're gone (lets see for how long :D)

So I changed the lambdas which was like doing some dental work through butthole :D but I managed to do it.
ABS saga came to an end by changing outer driveshaft joint cause "old" joint (changed it last summer) had faulty ABS ring on it.

Another problem I had occurred when I was going sideways on the ice. Power steering failed. It was working when I revved up the engine or when everything was cold. As soon as the car warmed a little it stopped working. So first I changed the fluid. Old fluid was gray/brown and foggy. Now after the power steering flush everything is nice and new. Unfortunately that didn't help so I had to change the pump also. Whipppiii now I have power steering again.

Finally I managed to get my hands on Audi S6 C5 rear brake calipers. Made for 269x22 vented disk. Right now I have 255x10 non vented.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts