Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 Passat, looking for someone that has done this, tuned one or any hands on info with this. Is it worth the $ ? Power ? Is there a better set up ?
Thanks, James McKey

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well I'm not sure about the Passat's but my friend has APR Stage III on his '01 Golf GLS 4 door. It pulls like crazy by way of 20psi. You should get about 275whp with that particular kit, which would easily net you a high 13 sec. 1/4 mile time. I would have to say that it is pretty expensive, but totally worth the gains. APR is also a very reputable company for VW/Audi tuning. They're now coming out with an updated version that's supposed to give you around 325hp to the crank, so about 300 or so to the wheels. It's amazing what these 4 cylinder motors can crank out for power with a snail attached :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
James McKey said:
I have a 01 Passat, looking for someone that has done this, tuned one or any hands on info with this. Is it worth the $ ? Power ? Is there a better set up ?
Thanks, James McKey
I don't own a 1.8T Passat but I did the StageIII APR kit on a 2001 GTI. It's well worth the $$$, and once everything is finished, look out Waterfest!!

:wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the input. What about a clutch ? What is a good clutch for this aplication?
Thanks, James McKey

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
NYA VW said:
Does anyone know if the APR stage III kit will work in a Tiptronic? If it does I will most likely "UPGRADE" next year. Btw.. I realize the torq converter is the weakest link...

Thanks
It will work, but the tip trans cant handle as much power as the manual can. Femi had PES Stage III on his car, which is probably relatively similar power to APRs kit :thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks... I love my GIAC chip but if they don't come out with a reliable Big Turbo kit by next year I'm going to through in the towel and go APR. Yes I realize they have K04 software but the HP to cost ratio is not good enough IMO.

I would really love to hear from anyone that has or had the APR stage III kit. I'm not looking to drag race just some extra lane passing power.

Btw... I have a TT exahaust w/dp and I will soon have a ECS Stage II BBK. I also have various supension mods.

Thanks Again :bow:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Macabre said:
It will not work simply because APR will not flash tip ECUs with stage III maps.
Good point... But I already have a GIAC tip chip... Will the GIAC tip chip work with the APR kit?

I would also get a tranny cooler, which is fairly cheap from what I hear.

Thanks

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
NYA VW said:
Thanks... I love my GIAC chip but if they don't come out with a reliable Big Turbo kit by next year I'm going to through in the towel and go APR. Yes I realize they have K04 software but the HP to cost ratio is not good enough IMO.

I would really love to hear from anyone that has or had the APR stage III kit. I'm not looking to drag race just some extra lane passing power.

Btw... I have a TT exahaust w/dp and I will soon have a ECS Stage II BBK. I also have various supension mods.

Thanks Again :bow:
If you just want some passing power APR Stage III might not be the best way to go. Maybe take a look at Neuspeeds "new" Super K04 kit. It costs $2500 :thumbup:
In fact this sounds like you :lol: :
If you own a 1.8T Audi or Volkswagen and want a more power than the existing K04 turbo kits on the market, but don't want to pay $3000 or more for a Stage III kit, then the NEUSPEED Super K04 turbo may be your answer.

Last summer we began testing a new K04 hybrid on both the longitudinal and transverse 1.8T engines. The results have been very positive and two versions of the kit are now available.

The Super K04 starts out as a brand new K04-001 (Golf/Jetta/Beetle/TT) or K04-015 (Audi A4 & Passat B5) turbocharger, obtained directly from Borg Warner Turbosystems. Next, the turbo is disassembled. The shaft, compressor and turbine wheels are removed as well as the compressor housing. The compressor housing is precision machined in preparation for re-assembly with replacement components. A new, specially designed compressor wheel is reinstalled and the shaft assembly is re-balanced. The compressor wheel is not only larger in diameter, but also features a proprietary blade profile.

Along each step of the process, quality control procedures are executed to ensure that the finished product is ready for installation in the vehicle with no further modifications required. There are no adapter plates or adapter fittings to bolt onto the turbo. The Super K04 mates to the factory exhaust manifold and downpipe patterns seemlessly. The factory oil and coolant lines bolt in perfectly just as they did with the O.E. turbo.
check out www.neuspeed.com for more info

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
NYA VW said:
Macabre said:
It will not work simply because APR will not flash tip ECUs with stage III maps.
Good point... But I already have a GIAC tip chip... Will the GIAC tip chip work with the APR kit?

I would also get a tranny cooler, which is fairly cheap from what I hear.

Thanks
That's not what I mean.. APR does not sell Stage III kits to tiptronic owners. Manual only. If you send them an ECU that is from a "tip" car they will not flash it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oh... Now I see what your saying..... That blows!!! :mad:

So I guess my choices are down to neuspeed and ATP. :nervous: Yes PES makes a kit but I have heard horror stores about their kit blowing up engines. :shock:

Or I could just hold off and "Upgrade" to a S4 in a couple of years... :lol: I helped a guy out this weekend from AW who had an S4. I had a VAG and a laptop and he need to get some logs. WOW that car just pulls and pulls... What was really scary was how smooth the ride was going 110mph... :shock:

·
Registered
628 Posts
julianfang said:
Why not just use the GIAC's Stage III tip chip?
Wait a second... WHAT STAGE III TIP CHIP!!

This is the first time I've heard of this chip....Does anyone have this chip and if so can you chime in with some feed back.

I must know more about this chip!! :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Macabre said:
Well Macabre was right.. They won't do it... I called APR today and they flat out said no. The guy basically said the whole tranny is to weak for the amount of HP being delivered to it. O'well... :cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
NYA VW
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing