Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the APR site looking at the stage III kit, but now I am confuse the kit comes with a new turbo. Is this a K04 or is it just a better than stock K03. The reason I ask is I had posted about getting chipped and was told there are no programs from APR for K04.

Is the stage III kit worth it? Is this the best bang for you buck if you don't go big turbo or is there another option?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think anybody does a "big turbo" kit for the Tiptronic cars. You can chip it, go with FMIC. DV, etc. But I don't know how much more.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Is the stage III kit worth it? Is this the best bang for you buck if you don't go big turbo or is there another option?
do you want the extra power? that's really up to you. but the best bang for the buck is a chip. around 40-50hp for $500. next is the k04, an additional 30-50hp for $1500. BT is an additional 40-70hp above the k04 for ~$5000.

this of course does not include the cost of intake, fmic, and exhaust, which are strongly recommended for the k04 and above.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think anybody does a "big turbo" kit for the Tiptronic cars. You can chip it, go with FMIC. DV, etc. But I don't know how much more.

It's for a good reason no one does it. It can tear the tranny apart. I only know of one Tip stage 3 A4... and we are still surprised it has worked this long!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Stage III comes with a GT28R. They don't like to sell it to a tip owner, although if you do the Level 10 mode you may be able to talk them into it - otherwise you still have other similar chip tuner kits (GIAC, et al). Their exhaust manifold is really nice - there are others, but with a boosted turbo they'll have limited lifespan compared to the APR in inconel. Probably the worst part of APR is that Passats are such a small part of their business that you can be ignored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts