Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a beauty show of this beauty.... barely fits in the opening.... special thanks to b5sportswagon for the help today..... much props
... this is a really thourough and complete package and it is a LOT of work... i still have lots of hoses and cable to hook up but i think you guys get the idea...

<![CDATA[heres a beauty show of this beauty.... barely fits in the opening.... special thanks to b5sportswagon for the help today..... much props
... this is a really thourough and complete package and it is a LOT of work... i still have lots of hoses and cable to hook up but i think you guys get the idea...

[Modified by Image Dynamics Passat, 3:06 AM 2/16/2003]

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (Image Dynamics Passat)

That manifold is a beauty

·
Registered
628 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (Blade)

Hey guys, these pictures don't do it justice. It looks way better and bigger in person. Can't wait to see it all done. The APR Stage III brakes are insane too. I was very impressed. Thanks again Fred for letting me hang out and check out the stuff.

Errin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (B5 SportsWagen)

great job
cant wait to hear your first test drive report

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

hopefully see this beauty at englishtown this summer!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (Lduque)

well its going to be about 2 weeks before i can go balls out on it.... we neeed to modify the programming for my particular computer .. so for atleast till that time next week or the week after.i have to baby it........ but woooooooaaaahhhh baby.. this kit is sweet... im going to fire it up tomorrow... and get the brakes on... then its all set... monday our next door neighbors are going to do the intake system for it and then.... once i get the programming... STAY OFF THE SIDEWALKS!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts

thanks for the excellent coverage. I am looking forward to hear your first impressions behind the wheel.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (scoreboard)

Quick hint. Make sure that braided stainless steel oil line is in back of the heat shield when you put the heat shield back on. Otherwise it will be a bit too close to the manifold and you risk coking the line and having oil starvation problems, which would be fatal to the turbo.

Sorry, just a little bit of friendly paranoia there.

If you checkout this link, you can see where mine is run. Maybe not as pretty, but it is a long ways from the manifold. http://www.bethcutler.com/~swett/gallery/Car/IMG_0533

-Ian

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

WOW

We are not worthy

I can't wait to see your car in person at the ND show

Pete

·
Registered
724 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (CRD99)

Did you have to buy the braked seperate, or did it come with the kit?

Thanks,DP

·
Registered
5,564 Posts

Fred: that thing is HUGE. I've taken my airbox out a few times so I know how "small" the K03 looks when I see those pictures. Nice job. Hope you paid attention to those torque settings on the manifold (and I assume the torque pattern as well.) Right now, I reckon you're on the brakes at this moment.

More pics when you're done, not that I really had to say it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (HermanH)

well... ok i do have to say on thing.... the access to the bolts for the manafold is almost near impossible... and on 3 of them there is absolutly zero, no way to get to them with a torque wrench..... bolt pattern was recognized..... i am jsut finishing the vacumn line replacement... I replaced everything on that side of teh car and also got rid of all of the crimp clamps and replaced them with something more service friendly.... i jsut got it started up and.... k03.... eat your heart out... the whistle of this thing is almost hypnotising.... i have a few more changes to make... i milled out a few new custom brackets for some of the piping and the lines... i really didnt like teh say the sugest routing was... i also went and got some longer length tube so i could run it in the direction that i wanted away from intense heat sources... so yes it has taken me a bit longer than it was supposed to but to me some of the vacumn line routing was suggested to be half assed!... but now i am much much happeir... ill be starting the breaks later this afternoon.. only after i have it where i like it...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

looks excellent...that manifold is off the charts.
gotta get some more pics.....

·
Registered
499 Posts

Looks sweet, congrats...!

Maybe I'll be there one day....!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (b5bel)

I think you missed my question. Did that come with the brakes, or was that another charge?

DP

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: APR Stage III installed!!!!!!!!!!!! (Donkeypuncher)

Donkeypuncher: The Stage III kit does not come with the APR brake kit. They're separate.

What did you use as hose clamps for those small hoses? I have used small hose clamps and zip-ties. The small hose clamps chew up the hose over time, and the zip ties are not what I would call servicable.

Great install. I understand taking extra time and doing it right. Especially since you're a guy who does a lot of audio stuff. That is all about being clean. I can't wait to see the final product.

On the 3 manifold bolts, you need a 12mm swivel 1/4" and/or 3/8" socket for two of them. I probably wouldn't use a torque wrench on them, but you should be able to get a good feel for how tight they should be by hand. The last one(its on top towards the center) is just a pain. I got it as tight as possible with an open ended wrench. If you heat up an open ended wrench with a blowtorch and bend it a bit, you can get more wrench on and get it tighter.

-Ian

<![CDATA[Donkeypuncher: The Stage III kit does not come with the APR brake kit. They're separate.

What did you use as hose clamps for those small hoses? I have used small hose clamps and zip-ties. The small hose clamps chew up the hose over time, and the zip ties are not what I would call servicable.

Great install. I understand taking extra time and doing it right. Especially since you're a guy who does a lot of audio stuff. That is all about being clean. I can't wait to see the final product.

On the 3 manifold bolts, you need a 12mm swivel 1/4" and/or 3/8" socket for two of them. I probably wouldn't use a torque wrench on them, but you should be able to get a good feel for how tight they should be by hand. The last one(its on top towards the center) is just a pain. I got it as tight as possible with an open ended wrench. If you heat up an open ended wrench with a blowtorch and bend it a bit, you can get more wrench on and get it tighter.

-Ian

[Modified by swett, 1:31 PM 2/16/2003]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts