Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (Darkclaw13)

There's an A4 owner here in Minnesota that I know through the All American Road Racing Federation (AARRF). He's had two APR Stage 3 kits and he's blown motors at the track with both of them. The first time, after much ado, they helped him out with the replacement. Not sure how much. The second time he ate it.

Now he's running an MTM Stage 2 I hear.

Regards,

·
Registered
790 Posts

I hadn't heard about anyone blowing a motor before? When was that?

The only two other Passats I know with the Stage 3 are Ronaldmcdonald, who has no end of troubles, and MYAPRSTAGEIII/Carace, who hasn't had any problems with the kit. I haven't had any problems either, but you should talk to Ronaldmcdonald.

I have taken the view that most problems with the kit have to do with the install. If the install is messed up, then a bunch of problems can happen. There are many people at Audiworld who have the kit as well. Since it is a lot of power, the quattro puts it to the ground more effectively, and there are a lot of A4 Quattro's with the kit.

If you want as much power as you can reasonably get out of a 1.8T, I would recommend it. Realize that you're getting into another set of potential upgrades once you have a Stage 3. Suspension of some sort is a must, as are wheels and tires. A better clutch is an eventual upgrade as well, depending on how abusively you drive the car. A cat-back exhaust is highly recommended as well.

-Ian

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (swett)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I hadn't heard about anyone blowing a motor before? When was that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe he blew one each summer for the last two years. I don't know who did the installs.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (Kenny Payne)

I think I know who you are talking about........was it a black A4? I saw it at APR a while back. He had a different from bumper and it was blocking 80% of the flow to the intercooler. Wasn't the kits fault. My bro and I will be installing the kit his on his A4 tomorrow, so we will see how it turns out. I'll keep you posted

<![CDATA[I think I know who you are talking about........was it a black A4? I saw it at APR a while back. He had a different from bumper and it was blocking 80% of the flow to the intercooler. Wasn't the kits fault. My bro and I will be installing the kit his on his A4 tomorrow, so we will see how it turns out. I'll keep you posted

[Modified by Blade, 8:03 PM 11/6/2002]

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

Swett, have you had the chance to dyno your car recently? Not to be rude or anything, but I don't think it's fair that you can say your kit is working w/out having dyno figures to back it up.

Jason at ND mentioned that the 91 octane could be a culprit, since the kit was designed for 93-ct. I recently had repair session done at ND, and will try to dyno my car again with 91 nad 100-oct respectively (I think it would be pretty difficult to get pure 93-octane in Cali).

Oh, another question I have is how much peak boost are you making? I get around 24 lbs, and I redline at 19 or lbs these days. I just wanted to make a comparison and see if I'm getting regular boost from the kit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (ronaldmcdonald)

Having personal experience with RM's car, I can tell you that the install and attempted repairs have been done incorrectly...for the most part. As a result, the car loses power after 4.5K...no matter what. But after speaking to RM lately, the issue may have been resolved...we'll see.

RM: You can put half a tank of 91 and half a tank of 100 to get 95.5 octane.

mike

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (mike5)

haha..., yes we should find out soon, if we can get the car to the dyno next week. It should be interesting. However, I'm even more interested in the pattern of the powerband than just the peak figures alone. I really hope 'repair', that has almost lasted 2 years will be finally resolved.

Regardless, as soon as I get my results in, I will post them on Clubb5.

BTW- incase anyone was wondering, all my 'bad installs/repairs' were all done at APR dealers, and were recommended by APR. I never had work done in a shop not advised by APR. In a sense, I think APR is also responsible for the faulty installations.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I dont know about the APR kit but try going to eiptunig.com They have turbo kits (stages 1 -5) the kits include (depending on the stage) turbonetics T3T4 turbo, chips, FMIC, gaskets and many other features... its a good site... check it out

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (HookahFrog)

eiptuning.com

link was not right.

that is

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (ronaldmcdonald)

Agreed, I need to get my car Dyno'd. Is there some sort of dyno day coming up? Also, I want to start racing, but I have no experience, so I'd be a bit intimidated going to a 'real' event. I'd like to try a class/starter event first, like the one held at the end of last month.

I also need to install a boost gauge. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but it just hasn't happened. I have a VAG-COM, so I can monitor boost and such if needed, but its not very convenient. As a side note, if anyone wants to help me install a gauge, that would be cool
I'll help you install something else(suspension, K04, etc).

I did the wastegate actuator upgrade not too long ago and APR hasn't finished the final software for DBW cars with the new actuator. I'm using the old software, which doesn't make as much boost with the new actuator. Still, I'd like to see where I'm at.

I do finally have a full exhaust. Before I was reluctant to dyno partially because I didn't have an exhaust, and I didn't think it would be a fair comparison to dyno the car with a super-restrictive stock exhaust.

I estimate I'm making about 250 to the crank right now, but I could be way off. Hopefully I'll make the spec'd power once I have the final program.

Based on your experiences, I would only go to APR themselves for an install or someone who's done lots of kits.

-Ian

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

That's good to hear that you'd be willing to give the dyno a shot! Unfortunately, the last Eurosport dyno day (cheapest quality dyno I know of; only $50 for 2 or 3 runs) was held back in early October iirc. They usually do it around 3 times a year, so you probably have to wait another 3 months to get that discount.

If you would like to start racing, I think the best way to go is do some auto-X events, and get some experience from there first. It's cheaper, and generally a lot safer than road racing in general. All the skills you learn in auto-X will definetly help you in road racing.

Then again, I started out doing road racing first with beginner level driving schools with a number of different clubs and events. It worked out good for me. Almost every event has a beginner group, so you're almost never alone. It's amazing how much more you can get out of your car when you have a good deal of seat time, I highly recommend it!

Since you're installing a boost guage, you might also want to get a air/fuel ratio gauge as well for diagnosis. It doesn't hurt to get as much info as possible to monitor how well your turbo/engine is doing.

·
Registered
521 Posts

There's an autocross practice Saturday 12/14, at Hollywood Park. Not as good as the school, but still a good way to get 10+ timed runs in, with a little informal instruction on the side. There are always about a dozen 1st timers, no problem there. Let me know if you're interested...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (schmove)

I'm interested in both your offers.

Jettahead, could you email me the details([email protected])?

Schmove, I'll take you up on that as well. I have a house now, so there is a bit more garage and driveway space to work. Email me and we can pick a weekend. I have extra materials from creating my airbox heatshield if you want me to make one for you. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I do know that the airbox is much cooler now than before, and I just secure it with velcro, so if you don't like it, there is no permanent damage. I have extra materials for a secondary air intake hose too

-Ian

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

RM, just went for a ride in my buddies stg.3 A4 about 2hrs. ago.........he was spiking 24psi and holding 19 to redline, looks like you might have a functioning kit again

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 (Blade)

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the boost levels. I agree with Blade, that is in line with what the nDBW guys I know are seeing as well.

How is the car feeling? When are you seeing full boost? Around 3500? It probably depends somewhat on the exhaust.

-Ian

1 - 20 of 28 Posts