Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to find out if anybody had actually had this installed? If so how was the perfromace gain and did you have to upgrade the engine parts as well?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have it installed. Its a good kit, very complete. You need an upgraded exhaust to go along with it, to lower the EGT's and help turbo spool up. Besides that, nothing is definitely required, though eventually you'll probably want a new clutch, which I'll be needing soon. And if you don't have upgraded suspension, the acceleration squat will be scary. I recommend something fairly stiff, like one of the coilover setups.

It has all the pros and cons of a big turbo kit. More lag, lots more power, and it will stress all the stock parts more than usual, so little problems like boost leaks may become more obvious with the kit. Also, I would not reccommend anyone buy any turbo upgrade beyond a K04 unless they're willing to install it themselves. And either buying or having access to a VAG-COM is very very nice.

Also, a FWD car with that much power is a bit silly. First is useless at full throttle and even second has substantial upper RPM wheelspin.

Depending on your how much extra cash you have around and what your goals are, you may want to consider APR's K04 kit, which should be coming out for the Passat soon. It is approximately 1/3 the price and is about halfway between a chip and the stage 3 kit.

Also I should add that any big turbo kit is going to make more power on 93 than 91, so the 280hp quote is not for 91. I'd say it makes 10-20hp less on 91, but that is a guestimate.

Feel free to IM me if you have more detailed questions.

-Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
BlackPearl
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing