Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Call APR directly. They often have sales. Just keep monitor it for the chip deal for your model.

You can get it installed at their recommended shops. But if it only a simple chip swap, you can DIY and save some $$ for future mods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello guys, Patrick here at APR and I just wanted to give you a few reasons on why APR should be choosen over the competition. First of all, APR has DPP or direct port programing which requires no soldering or hrdware removal/installation. Next we always try to develop software that not only gives you good hp increases but stock reliability. Up to four programs may be loaded on one ecu such as stock, 93 octane, 100 octane race, vallet, as well as security features. All of these programs are interchangeable through your cruise control stalk while still having an active cruise function. Can anyone out there tell me why any other comnpany should be choosen?

·
Registered
299 Posts
There's a GIAC dealer 10 miles from my house?

-Craig

PashbyAPR said:
Can anyone out there tell me why any other comnpany should be choosen?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I gotta recomend APR. Basically, I'd say what Patrick said. The power gains between GIAC and APR are pretty much identical. I just like the "advantages" (DPP, switching thru cruise, etc.) of APR.

Edit: I believe both APR and GIAC have 2003 chips. I know APR does. Mines an '03

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PashbyAPR said:
Hello guys, Patrick here at APR and I just wanted to give you a few reasons on why APR should be choosen over the competition. First of all, APR has DPP or direct port programing which requires no soldering or hrdware removal/installation. Next we always try to develop software that not only gives you good hp increases but stock reliability. Up to four programs may be loaded on one ecu such as stock, 93 octane, 100 octane race, vallet, as well as security features. All of these programs are interchangeable through your cruise control stalk while still having an active cruise function. Can anyone out there tell me why any other comnpany should be choosen?
How much will all that cost?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The base chip price for most cars is 499$. Additional programs on top of that are 149$ for one extra program, 219$ for two, and 249$ for three totaling out at 4 programs. The fault code erase and security features are 59$ extra for each. -Patrick Ashby- Audi Performance & Racing

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
PashbyAPR said:
The base chip price for most cars is 499$. Additional programs on top of that are 149$ for one extra program, 219$ for two, and 249$ for three totaling out at 4 programs. The fault code erase and security features are 59$ extra for each. -Patrick Ashby- Audi Performance & Racing

Don't pay much more than APRs pricing. I got my chip for the exact APR price. The guy that did my install said he goes strictly by APRs prices. I know some shops want to charge quite a bit more than APR priceing ($800 or more for just two programs DPPed that should cost $650). I could see maby paying an extra thiry or so but considering my installer charged their prices, the installers fee is already built in (I guess I could be wrong about this but I doubt that guy did the installation for free). Point is, be aware and go elsware if you get a high qoute for the install. Or just send your ecu to APR. Of course one of the many advantages to DPP is that you never have to be without your car.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I wanted to get a stock setting and then the chip setting I'd have to pay for 2 programs?

If so... if I only choose one program can that be the chipped function program? Would that eliminate my stock setting completely?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm partial to GIAC. Unfortunately for you there are no dealers near you, APR or GIAC. You have to go at least up to Orange County to get your chip installed. I have the GIAC IBE and have no complaints. I went with the 3 program package. Chip, Stock, and Kill. GIAC: www.giacusa.com

I went to Eurosport Accesories to get mine installed: www.eurosportacc.com

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
therockshow182 said:
So if I wanted to get a stock setting and then the chip setting I'd have to pay for 2 programs?

If so... if I only choose one program can that be the chipped function program? Would that eliminate my stock setting completely?
Yes, you pay for two programs (or actually the ability to switch between stock and chipped). You still have the option to send in your ecu and get just the chip installed and not have the EMCS (switching) option - that would cost $499. The price from there is in the link below.

Look at the bottom of this link

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu_upgrade_passat18t.html

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
PashbyAPR said:

The nearest dealer for APR is in Denver, CO for me...10 hr drive

Nearest Giac dealer is in Wichita, about 2 hrs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts