Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings every-1 i'm sure this has been asked but i was wondering if some-1 can tell me in laymens terms if i need it or if it'll make any difference for me.

I have a 99 AEB 1.8T 5spd with ARP 1 bar chip.

I've noticed that neuspeed recommends or sells with their 1 bar chip a 5 bar FPR.

I was wondering if switching my stock 4 bar to a 5 bar would be a better idea? Would it make me run richer; AKA to rich? Or would it not even matter if i had the 4 or 5 bar.

I know if/when i goto a K04 setup a 5 bar is needed right?

Any input would be great. Thanx!

-Chris 8)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Advice:

Dont change it leave it as is. If do change to 5 bar you will notice that the car runs heavy( rich). Apr design the 1 bar with the use of 4 bar. Neuspeed recommend it due to the software programing of there ECU chip. I had it all. From APR, Greedspeed,Neuspeed,Gaic. From 3 bar to 4 bar to 5bar to Adjustable.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Depends...Early AEB motors came with 210cc injectors the later
ones came with 240s...the only real way to be sure and not just trust everything is OK..is to :

A: put it on the dyno. with the wideband o2 (best)
B: log your o2 voltages and timing to see if you are in the ballpark..

Just because APR ships the chip, does not mean it perfect for your specific car..if you want to get the most out of it, and have peace with yourself that it is safely tuned..these are the ways.

I know this because I was running an off the shelf Ko4 program a while back, the car "felt" quick.. but was running 14.7 :1 on the dyno...

210cc injectors...immediately swapped..

TJ

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Chas has the APR 1-bar chip. He tried larger (252cc) injectors - these were injectors that worked great on my non-chipped car - his results ranged from bad to inconclusive. HermanH has had similar experience with larger injectors on a K04 program. From those experiences plus others, I'd say leave a chipped car alone injector-wise, unless you're willing to tune to the extent that TJ has...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I need input regarding this as well. I have detonation under heavy loads. I'm running a 1bar GIAC program on a K03 and a stock 4bar FPR. Please correct me if I'm wrong with the following restatement of what I think I read here...

So, if you have an early AEB, the first step would be to check the injectors. If they are 210cc, swap them to the larger 240cc that came on later AEBs. This is a good way to get more fuel. If you choose not to swap injectors the 5bar FPR is the next best thing?

I'm trying to keep my car from detonating in hot weather given the crap gas we have here.

I know you guys have been talking a lot about this in past months. I'm behind the curve. :(

-Mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
if you're running APR, you don't need to add or change anything else on the car.

other chip tuners may require extra hardware due to inferior programming.

·
Registered
659 Posts
B5CAR said:
Advice:

Dont change it leave it as is. If do change to 5 bar you will notice that the car runs heavy( rich). Apr design the 1 bar with the use of 4 bar. Neuspeed recommend it due to the software programing of there ECU chip. I had it all. From APR, Greedspeed,Neuspeed,Gaic. From 3 bar to 4 bar to 5bar to Adjustable.
B5CAR is correct for APR products. I had the same question last September. I have a ’99 1.8T (AEB) running an APR 91 octane chip. I wrote APR and here is their response (I cannot speak for other Chip vendors):

"Ron, Thanks for contacting us with your questions. We do not recommend the use of a larger FPR. It simply is not needed with our software. Use of such a device will cause your car to run rich. I hope this info helps. Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance. Thanks.

Jeremy L. Auvil
Director of Sales, Marketing, and Distributors
Audi Performance and Racing, LLC.
www.goapr.com "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.