Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least seen one hooked up to a 1.8T? i have an opertunity to get one really cheap, but if its like brain surgery to get it installed, then it might not be worth it. But i know it would be somthing different to see on a vw.

Oh, and for those who don't know what i';m talking about, here;s what i'm talking about...

"The Apexi SAFC Version 2 is a piggyback fuel computer that modifies air-flow meter signal (pressure signal in some vehicles) to optimize fuel-air ratio; Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).
The second-generation S-AFC is a fuel computer that adjusts fuel/air ratio by modifying the air-flow meter/MAP sensor signal. The S-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems.

The S-AFC is capable of monitoring and replaying the following data channels in Numerical, Analog Meter and Graph displays: Intake Manifold Vacuum/Boost Pressure, Air Flow Capacity, Intake Manifold Pressure, Karmann Frequency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Air Flow Correction %."

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Care to send one my way? :)

B5bel is the only guy that has one hooked up. I don't think the wiring is that difficult. The new SAFC IIs have 8-9 wires you need to solder. Now the tricky part is figuring out which wires from the ECU you need to solder those wires to.

Why do you need one?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, no i don't need one..... At least not quite yet. :wink: At this point i'm still runnning the stock K03 sport, so it won't be that usfull at this time. Like i said, i found a god deal on one, and if its possible to get it hooked up, it could be a good way to prepare for future upgrades coming next year.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I looked up their site and reviewed the wirirng PDF. While it's strickly designed to fit virtually any Japanese car, I tried to tie-in the ECM wires to the kit. A lot of what I found has a lot to do on determining the type of airflow metering. I took the very first one which is labled as "hot wire/flap/pressure airflow" wiring:

APEXi SAFC-II------------>98' Passat (no MAP)
Red----------- Power (+)-> unknown; Red? ignition?
Green---------RPM Signal-> T80/63, T80/56
Purple---------Knock Sensor -> KS1=TS80/68, KS2=T80/60
Grey-----------Throttle Sensor -> TS80/74 & TS80/75.
Brown---------Ground -> T80/2
Black----------Ground -> T80/2
Yellow --------Hot Wire Airflow (MAF) signal output -> TS80/13 or TS80/12
White----------Hot Wire Airflow (MAF) singnal input -> see wiring diagram.

Of course after looking over this again, it's probably going to take some more input from Apexi tech support on the areas throttle sensors since there are 2, and of the MAF since it was not clear to me on the procedure when there are 2 signals wires for the MAF ( TS80/13 and TS80/12). Also, they have a special procedure for multi-knock sensor setups such as ours. I think in the cars with actual MAP sensors, it'll be a bit easier I would guess.

But overall, if we get the right answers from Apexi, this should be somewhat easy; time consuming but relatively easy so long as we get the right terminals as outlined above.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Herman- The passat god! :bow: Thanks for the info! Really appreaciate it! looks like i'm gona make the purchase. I'll give it a try, looks like it won't be to difficult, more time consuming than anything. Now i need to figure out where i'm gona put it! :nervous:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yep. Bel is the only guy to do it. I talked with him briefly about it, and although I too have the Stock KO3S (for who knows how long) my AF gets screwy, and i run SUPER MEGA rich after 5K. So rich it's probably affecting my power output. That is why I'm was looking to get one.

FYI- Apexi's NEW AFC is out (its been out for a few months) and it is black, and looks WAY better than the older one (shown above) I havn't researched the new harness, but Bel said it took ALOT of time and effort for an electronical genius to hook it up, and do it right.

Herman is on the right track, but I don't know.... We'll need a full report with as much hookup info as you can get!

good luck! :nervous:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Its too bad Passats don't have a lot of tuning tools such as this.

I just bought a black one for my DSM. It does look really sweet compared to the old blue ones. The new ones also have 12 tuning points instead of the previous 8.

I'm sure if B5bel has some time, he can make a lot of money by selling custom plug and play field harnesses to plug into the ECU and SAFC. :poke:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Maybe there is enough interest between:

ClubB5
VWVortex
Club1.8T

to get Apexi to design a PLUG AND PLAY harness for 1.8Ts. If anyone feels like this is a worthwhile effort, I'll start the ball rolling.

ANY 1.8T should benifit with this mod.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
My concern is really the K04 fuel supply issue. I don't know if ths AFC will fix this since the injector duty cycle is fixed, however, I can see where "larger" injectors like 360 or 380's in my case, coupled with this unit, can possibly cure this.

If they could make a harness of the 1.8T, I'd be game.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spanky McGee said:
Yep. Bel is the only guy to do it. I talked with him briefly about it, and although I too have the Stock KO3S (for who knows how long) my AF gets screwy, and i run SUPER MEGA rich after 5K. So rich it's probably affecting my power output. That is why I'm was looking to get one.

FYI- Apexi's NEW AFC is out (its been out for a few months) and it is black, and looks WAY better than the older one (shown above) I havn't researched the new harness, but Bel said it took ALOT of time and effort for an electronical genius to hook it up, and do it right.

Herman is on the right track, but I don't know.... We'll need a full report with as much hookup info as you can get!

good luck! :nervous:
The black version II is the one i'm gona get. :) I'm gona talk to some Vw tunning shops and see what they can do, or if they even feel its worth it. Like i said, it may not be usful now, but when the major motor mods start coming, it might come in handy.

I'd love for Apex-i to come up with a plug and play harness. I'd be all game as well!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
A'pex i doesn't do harnesses for anyone. Also, from what I gather, you pick from a list of predefined MAFs (that's basically a table of output voltages vs. cc's/min of air)... Which one you gonna pick?

If anyone wants to mess w/ one, I have a brand new S-AFC II for sale btw. Black w/ white lighting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, count me in for the SAFC. We have quite a few going in the used market in Singapore, and I've been wondering if it was even possible to rig this up into a B5.5.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:

Admittedly, my requirements are more extreme than most of yours, since I'm dealing with a stock ECU. You guys are chipped, so there's probably just a spot or two in your powerband that needs fine-tuning. For those purposes, an MAF-signal-tweaker might be just what you need. But I have researched the piggyback controllers enough that I am dissatisfied with all of them. You don't get enough return from the cost, the limited adjustability, and the installation hassle. And Herman - mucking with the MAF signal is not going to help your problems anymore than adjusting fuel pressure has.

But, FWIW, there are downloadable installation instructions for the Perfect Power SMT-6. For the AEB, anyway. Perhaps their diagram would help for other applications: http://www.perfectpower.com/wiring/Volkswagenmenu.asp

Here is the route I am going: Direct control of the fuel injectors via a Power Commander for a Suzuki GSXR-1000. This unit goes inline between the ECU and the injectors. So the ECU controls the timing of the pulses, and the Power Commander controls the duration of the pulses to +/- 100%. That's right, Herman, you can get a greater-than 16.32 msec pulse with this puppy. You have DIRECT CONTROL of the injectors. It's like standalone fueling. $250-$350.

http://ackthud.com/shawnfogg/fuelupgrade.htm

I have been in contact with the mfr and gotten an upgraded recommendation for which unit to use. I was ready to order it Tuesday morning (the 12th), until I discovered that my car refuses to go into Open-Loop at WOT: Tech Help needed - Throttle Position - ODBII vs. VAG-COM. If I can't get into OL, then no amount of fuel tweaking is going to do any good, I'll just be fighting the fuel trims and whatever I do will just get trimmed out, just like adjusting fuel pressure. So my Power Commander project is on hold until I get my OL problem fixed... :mad:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
HermanH said:
Russ: read that link; I went to PCMIII site and guess what, there's a BMW module coming out in Jan. 2005.

I think this unit is actually more up my alley. I can't afford this at the moment but perhaps it will be worth looking into next year...

thanks for the link.
Yeah, Michael said they were going to start coming out with Auto applications. I put in an eloquent plea for the cable-throttle 1.8T's... and they have or will have timing modules that can be added to the PCIII. (drool, drool...)

The newer units have the "accelerator pump" module, and adjust in 250 rpm increments, and have individual-cylinder adjustment. A possible cure for our cyls 3 and 4 which tend to have more knock retard than 1 & 2...

I can't wait to get this on my car - oh the sufferings...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Rusty said:
Macabre said:
But looking at that link, the PowerCommander's load index is only TPS. That will be a significant compromise for fueling a turbocharged engine.
I plan on hooking the PC to a MAP sensor instead of TPS. Motorola MPX4250A. $18. :)
But that's not such a great solution either. The idea here is the gizmo does not adjust fuel by mucking with the injector signal. You tell it exactly what to run and that's what it runs, right? Well, if you think you had problems going from low altitude to high altitude before (and warm to cool temps), wait 'till you're running your fueling with MAP as the only input. :nervous:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.