Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thoroughly exhausting the search function I am finally turning to the collective wisdom of the forum. Anyone know where we can get the OEM 75W90 gear oil (#G052911A) for our manual tranny at a reasonable price? Impex is running $20 for 1/2 liter. Even Jerry the parts guys said 'holy sh!t' to that price since we need almost 3 liters which would mean $120 in fluid.

I know we have the Redline and Royal Purple alternatives but I am just not really enthused about dealing with the 1st and 2nd gear shifting troubles everyone experiences using those.

Thoughts?

Joe

·
Registered
364 Posts
Count yourself lucky. My local VW service department only uses Castrol oils so I had to ring the local Audi service department for a price. They wanted AU$50 per half litre for the 75W90 gear oil! I ended up using Shell Helix fully synthetic 75W/90 gear oil which only cost me AU$11 per litre. I still have cold shift issues but they aren't as bad as my wife's Golf GTi. 2.5 litres should be more than enough to fill the gearbox - I've done it 4 times so I should know by now. ;)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa... Have you considered going with LubroMolly's MOS2 which meets the API GL5 specification? You can get it from Adirondak Auto Parts

Also AMSOIL's Series 2000 Gear Lube handles low temperature applications much better than the Redline or Royal Purple gear lube and it handles both the GL4 and GL5 API specifications.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Source for VW 75w90 synthetic gear oil

I spoke with Jason at Drewparts.com today re the 5-speed oil. He didn't have access to the VW part number. With the number I found in the Bentley manual and available in a previous note (G052911A1) he was able to find it as a quart bottle for $24. Less the Clubb5 discount of 20% it's expensive but if it is the one with the least problems then it is worth it. I wonder who makes it? I wonder the same thing about other fluids that appear to be available only from the dealer.. I have the same problem for a Volvo we have. I recently bought a gallon of antifreeze for nearly $20 with tax. Who makes that? It can't be that price without the Volvo label on it.

I asked Jason to put the gear oil, brake fluid, brakes and rotors on the web site. He will do so under "Special Orders". I asked about the VAG 3357 tool to drain the gear oil on my 2003 Passat.. He said he can't get tools. The service dept may be able to do so, he thought. I didn't call them. I did see a source for a combination triple square and 17mm hex tool somewhere (German Auto Parts?) for $24 I think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
IS this the same gear oil that is used in the Tiptronic final drive gear? I think it calls for 75w90.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Wow. Rape?

Get Mobil 1 75w-90 for what, $5/quart?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Need for GL 4 gear oil

pass-variant said:
Just buy Redline 75W-90NS, and consider yourself lucky for getting a superior gear lube for a little less than OEM lube price... it's better, your milage will even show it.
Isn't Redline 75w90NS a GL-5 gear lube and don't we need GL-4 for the recent Passats. I have a 2003 and am not familiar with the requirements for other models/years. The Redline MT90 is a 75w90 GL-4 fluid.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was talking about the final drive gear for the auto tiptronic, sorry to add to the confusion :oops: I am using the ATF D4 Redline for the ATF, but wasn't sure on the final drive fluid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.