Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hook up any x10 cameras or video surveilance in their Homes?
There have been a rash of car break-ins and attempted thefts of cars in my neighborhood. My neighbors on the right and left of my property had their cars broken into and the other stolen. The stolen car was a Passat, the car broken into was an Audi A6..they couldn't get it started. They had their cars parked in their driveways. I have my car parked in the back and away from streetview. My other neighbor down the street had her Nissan Armada put on blocks, they stole 2 wheels. Anyway I want to setup a camera, probably a x-10 (small non-intrusive) to survey my property. How easy are they to hook up and how did you hook it up...was it attached to video recorder or computer. TIA if any replies

·
Registered
593 Posts
SAME question. I'd like to put one in my garage, on a motion detector (with some type of time system to set when it's active)

I know that this can be done, I'd really love to find someone that's a real x-10 master to ask all kinds of questions to!

Rian

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
X10s are nice because you don't have to run wires, but there are downsides.

http://www.techtv.com/unscrewed/print/0,23102,3616859,00.html

That said, I set one up with a very simple configuration to monitor my front porch (I was having ex-girlfriend issues at the time) and found it very easy to set up and use.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I would run a computer. capture the frames on disk and use a motion detector (software) to save disk space. that way, any time something in the frame changes 'enough', the computer starts recording and saves it to a new file. you can then check out each file and delete the useless ones and keep the rest. with tape, its nuts to have to review thru linear time...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
also, here's an idea. have 2 cameras, one easier to 'find' than the other (it becomes a decoy). you setup a motion detector and if it trips, you set off an alarm and a light real close to the decoy turns on (and the guy can see there's a camera there, taping him).

if he think's he can beat it, he takes out that camera. then goes about his business. but you had that other one there, too... ;)

so if the first one scares him off, you win.

if it doesn't, you still have him on tape.

just an idea - not sure if it would work but it sounds good on paper ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
X10 cameras are junk IMO! The wireless capability sucks! Says it'll work though walls and up to 100'. Yea... but the picture is fuzzy plus it's really bad in low light conditions!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I assume you can program the cam itself? any way to have the signal send to a video source? I'd love to hook one up on my front porch so I can see who's at the door on my TV via another video input.... Cuts down on the kids with the big green containers selling Kit Kats for 5$

Actually, I can see several valid uses for monitoring my Kid in play areas where he's out of his mothers sight.....

Also, anyone played with the lighting functions? I know you can buy devices that control all kinds of lighting via X-10

Rian

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys...x10 is actually running a special on home survielance items. Expires at midnight... check it out http://www.x10.com/home/offer.cgi?!TSSALE,../techtoysale.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts