Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Passat wagon and I use the cargo area regularly. I would like to install the 8" sub I have but have been running into a laundry list of frustrations that haven't allowed a stealthy install to happen:

- no pre-fabbed stealth boxes made for my car
- no good spot for a DIY custom stealth box
- not willing to remove the spare tire or items in my cargo compartments to gain space for some sort of custom install
- currently available amps are too big to fit into the slot meant for the OEM CD changer
- no money to have someone do a fully trick install for me

So I'm down to my last 2 options:

(a) buy an 8" Q-Logic sub box and mount amp to the box

Pros - self contained; entire unit can be removed easily and placed in a different car; cheaper; easy install

Cons - sub and amp will be in harms way; not convenient to place other items in cargo area; amp will still need to be small enough to mount on box; easy for a thief to get away with the entire setup; hard to firmly anchor to keep from moving around

(b) build a false floor for the cargo area

Pros - speaker is flat and out of the way - long, light items could lay on top; amp is hidden; size of amp is a non-factor; false floor platform could be compartmentalized with hatches to hold extra gear (I'm a big outdoorsman, always have gear in my car)

Cons - HEAVIER; not sure if speaker could be under the rubber cargo liner I have; increased time, money, effort; only specific to a B5.5 Passat wagon; features to access spare tire and side compartments would need to be integrated into the design (modular or hinges)

My idea for the false floor is to buy or build a cheaper, small, naked 8" sub enclosure (as thin as possible) made of MDF. The rest of the platform would be made of lighter materials and made to tilt or the back half lifts out for access to the spare. A pocket for the sub enclosure would be cut in and isolated with foam (to limit vibration). Compartments in the platform could be added and separated by cargo mesh or nylon screen for increased storage.

To those who have built false floors, am I getting way too ambitious just to install an 8" sub? Retaining maximum cargo space is the #1 priority. I will have to measure my sub and read to see what the mounting requirements are, but I suspect the total platform will be ~5-6" taller than the floor. Anyone know if there is a minimum clearance behind the speaker that I need to maintain?

Has anyone done this in a Passat sedan or wagon? If you have pics (did a search, lots of dead links at other sites) and ideas for making a lighter weight setup (decking, support structure, etc.), please share!!!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
look for pix of quality_sound's setup. he had a false floor, if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This type of setup would be ideal, but where is the jack and Monsoon amp hiding (though I suppose with an amp that big, it is powering everything)?!?! I've never played with fiberglass before, and the thought of trying it is a little scary.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
^^that one loses the spare, as woll ALL false floor setups where the sub is in the floor.

StLB5 can make you a box that will sit over your pass. side wheel well.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
These are all 10" subs so and 8" enclosure would be even smaller, probably wouldn't even need to go over the wheel well. It would be very clean!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The setup by JB does not lose the spare, as the the false floor houses the amp, not the sub.

Now the jack is probably moved over to the passenger side, but don't know about the Monsoon amp.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StLB5 said:
These are all 10" subs so and 8" enclosure would be even smaller, probably wouldn't even need to go over the wheel well. It would be very clean!

Where is the amp in these installs and how does the enclosure attach/stay up against the side? Nice install!!!

I have a fire extinguisher, flares and gloves in that first aid kit compartment. I would have to figure out another place for all that stuff to live. I also have a rubber cargo liner that follows the contours of the sides, so that may create a problem with using a side mount that comes out flush with the wheel well unless it could be tucked underneath. Like this, but follows the contours of the Passat:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the responses! After a little deliberation and realizing that the cargo area is quite large to construct a false floor just for 1 small amp and 1 small sub, I decided to go with StLB5's side-sub enclosure. I'll be ordering up an amp and install hardware in the coming weeks! I believe I'm going to go with a similar amp install as the one where the lower portion of the amp/cd shelf was removed, unless there are other good ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts