Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
The AUG is slightly different as it uses a bolt to hold the tension roller off center and does not have a pre-tension adjustment. If you swap the stud, you should be able to use the later style, but I have never done it. This should be the later style stud, washer and nut: 06B 109 166, N 015 278 2, N 011 008 30

Reactions: John_E

·
Registered
2001 Passat GLS 1.8T manual, satin silver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, PZ! If I still lived in Dallas I would buy you a beer. My username disappeared a few years ago but I have a few hundred posts here so I will stop back in after I install the updated parts to let folks know how it fits on the AUG. It's possible that it will have to wait until next summer because I have about 40k and 10 years on the belt and don't drive the car most of the year.

I did find some clear-ish oil under the car that didn't appear to be drips from removing the filter for an oil change so I'm wondering if the NTN tensioner leaked down. I'll pop the upper timing cover and see if I can see leakage from the tensioner. if It leaked down it moves to the top of the household projects list!

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
My son went to school in Boston (NEC), housing prices are crazy there.

The tensioner would make a clacking sound at idle/low rpm if it leaked down. It would not leak enough to reach the ground but would be visible inside with the upper cover removed. The AUG and AWM used the same block as well as the transverse 1.8T that used the mechanical tension roller.

I've got almost 16yrs/64K on the Golf's timing belt (2.0slow) that I will be changing soon. Rubber inside the cover does not rot as fast as the ones exposed to sun and road salt, but we don't have road salt here most years.

·
Registered
2001 Passat GLS 1.8T manual, satin silver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, housing certainly expensive, but worth every single penny. I lived in Dallas in Turtle Creek and Baylor Hospital areas for almost 15 years.

Thanks for the tip on the clacking tensioner. It's definitely not doing that but I'm going to gather the revised parts together anyway.

My '94 2.slow ABA Jetta followed me all over the country and when it was about 20 years old I pulled the timing cover and left it off. So easy to do a belt that way! Never had a problem with stones kicking up in there, but I won't be doing this on my other cars.

My son went to school in Boston (NEC), housing prices are crazy there.

I've got almost 16yrs/64K on the Golf's timing belt (2.0slow) that I will be changing soon. Rubber inside the cover does not rot as fast as the ones exposed to sun and road salt, but we don't have road salt here most years.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,434 Posts
The AUG is slightly different as it uses a bolt to hold the tension roller off center and does not have a pre-tension adjustment. If you swap the stud, you should be able to use the later style, but I have never done it. This should be the later style stud, washer and nut: 06B 109 166, N 015 278 2, N 011 008 30
Yes, I noticed the difference when my sons and I did the timing belt on his 2002 Audi (AMB 1.8T) and then on my 2001 Passat wagon (AUG 1.8T). The tensioners do mount and function differently. I hadn't thought about doing an update. Maybe a year from now, when the Passat comes due for its next TB change.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
There's somebody that's been away for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts