Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone is sporting these and what kind of springs are you running. I did a search and have been coming up empty for a while so I thought I would post something. They are about 1/2 the price of the Bilsteins. Thanks for opinions!

Description:
"GR-2 gas shock absorbers, strut cartridges and complete struts are affordably priced, twin tube designs that blend a smooth ride quality with enhanced road control. A low-pressure gas charge and patented check valve minimize foaming and aeration to help make sure the ride stays consistent, even under rough conditions. When you want to blend like-new vehicle ride qualities with a little more control, you want KYB GR-2 gas series shock absorbers, strut cartridges or complete struts."

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently replaced my stock suspension on my 97 Jetta at 118,000 miles with those KYBs. I also changed all the mounts and bump stops with polyurethane ones, and replaced the springs with just replacement stock. I like them and they feel very solid but not harsh for a daily driver car. Since my old setup was shot, its hard to compare to original stock feeling. All I know is that they were a great price and seem to work well, pretty much all I asked for in a communting car.

I can't speak for how they would work in the Passat since I'm still on stock there.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
danteshors, I was investigating the GR-2s and they are a great replacement for the original OEM shocks and in fact provide some performance improvements over the OEMs. However because of their OEM height and valving/dampening characteristics, they are not suited for applications where the vehicle has been lowered, especially if the vehicle has been lowered more than 1 inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts