Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting ready to complete our next house renovation project, part of which will be the possible addition of a new bathroom. One issue with our design is the distance from the hotwater tank to this new bath. We had the idea of using a tankless water heater, to cut the delivery time for hot water.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any problems? What brand do you have? Any things to look out for?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, we use these lovely things at work all of the time. I would stay away from one if I were you. If you have to get one, make sure it is 220, not 110. The best you'll get out of 110 is luke warm water...another pain in the but with them is you must have the water turned on all of the time. If you turn off the water you will instantly burn out the element. I would advise installing a little kill switch near the unit, that way if you have a reason to turn off your water, you'll be reminded to throw the breaker.

They also tend to leak after 5 years or so. Other than that, they are great!! :crazy:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have to get one, make sure it is 220, not 110. The best you'll get out of 110 is luke warm water...
Hey, Kris! Long time, no see! I'm thinking gas-fired, not electric. See this link...

http://www.controlledenergy.com/html/aquastar/index.html

I've got a lot more research to do on this, before committing. 55 degree (F) heat rise with a flow rate of 3.3 gpm. But I dunno what my flow rate is. I thought I check here to see if anyone else has some experiences. Thanks for yours.

PS: How's that Mazda runnin'?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If you do get an electric one make sure it's on it's own circut... These things can really mess up your other electric devices (if on the same circut) because of the quick draw. A gas unit will obviously negate this problem...

It may cost you a bit on the front end but it should save you some cash in the long run since it's only "on demand".... It's definately a sustainable solution...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Electricity is pretty expensive here - I'll definitely go gas. That Rinnai unit looks promising. There's a couple of dealers nearby...I think I need to talk with them. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Oops, wasn't even thinking about a gas instantaneous water heater...I have zero experience with one of those. One thing to think about is the hard water we have in our area, and how much damage it does to such things.

I've actually "settled in" with the Protege. Car runs like a top, zero problems in almost two years, pretty good gas mileage, handles very well, and has almost as much interior room as the Passat did. The purchase price was also pretty good, so I can say I've been pleased, it was just a little shock going back a little, but certainly a great move in the long run, as we have our girls' college funds back to where they should be. I hope to run it until it dies...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PittsburghPassat said:
I hope to run it until it dies...
If my experience is any guide (92 Pro), that's at least ten years or 175,000 miles). My sister-in-law is driving our old Pro, and it's still running well, although it did take about $800 in repairs this last year - radiator starting leaking (original), new right drive shaft, and a couple of other things. She has no complaints, though, since I gave her the car outright.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts