Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, so no feedback, but I went ahead and bought one.

Took about 10 minutes to install, which was 5 minutes longer than it should have - it really is that easy. I spent the first 5 minutes trying to locate the right connector :) Once in place, a couple tie-wraps hold it in place. I attached it to my air intake hose, just before it attaches to the engine cover.

Once it's installed, you use an Android (or Apple) app to control the settings. It connected right away. Under a minute and I was up and running.

It works quite well. There's a real, definitive change in boost and acceleration. Before installation, I was maxing out at around 15-16 psi on boost, after installing, I'm getting 19-20 psi. This was with the "Race" (max) setting, which recommends 93 octane. I was running 91 with an octane booster, so I'm thinking I was close to 92-ish.

The app is pretty basic, but you get 4 performance options - Valet, Sport (stock), Sport+, and Race. Valet seems to keep the turbo off altogether, and there's little difference between Sport+ and Race, although the highest turbo pressure I reached at 20 was with Race.

I've had it for a few days now, and I love it - good gains for the $$, especially at $200. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't know anything about Dinan but as long as they and their product are a reliable and safe tune then that sounds like good value for the money. I'll just point out, for yours and other readers future consideration, that for ~$600 (or a bit cheaper when on sale) you can get stage 1 tuning software from reputable companies like APR, Revo, GIAC, Unitronic which net you almost triple those numbers. They should be all around the same mark for stage 1 but I know off the top of my head APR, in particular, records 250bhp and 303 ft-lbs torque. That is a MASSIVE torque increase and you can absolutely feel it, it's extremely fun. If you think that Dinan transformed your car you'd be absolutely thrilled by a Stage 1 from those companies. I can only personally speak to APRs tune. I had Stage 1 for 2 years and Stage 2+ (which requires extra hardware) for 1.5 years. When I upgrade to a big turbo I'm planning to get Eurodyne Maestro which is a custom tuning suite that gives you a measure of control of the tuning maps for advanced users but for plug-and-play tuning with no fuss I'd recommend APR personally. Those other companies I named are all top-notch too. If you get bored of the Dinan in a few months consider stepping up to a stage 1 tune from one of them. No hardware required for stage 1. Some additional hardware required for stage 2 and 2+ and the gains at that point are much less significant so a lot of people are happy just staying at stage 1 for a very fun, torquey, and usable powerband, but still a reliable DD car.

Just a friendly note to you and/or future readers. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about that or other stuff. The B6 is not a very commonly modded platform and I'm all for spreading what I know to other B6'ers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I'm surprised that more people don't take advantage of the B6 "enhancement" options. Seems to me that giving more power to a comfortable car is a no-brainer. But from my wife's perspective, she's like "it's fast enough already - you'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

I actually bought a supposedly "pre-tuned" for APR Stage 1 ECU for my car off Ebay a while back, only to find out there was no way to actually get it installed on my car. It's a part number match and all, but no one would touch it to reflash my existing ECU with - VW said they would do it only with stock, so no tune. So now I'm out $200 and have an ECU sitting around with Stage 1 on it just mocking me :-/.

I found out about the Dinan from an ECS ad. I looked it up and there was very limited info concerning VWs except for some reviews on their site. I have a friend whose a big Dinan fan from a BMW standpoint, so with it being a hundred bucks off right now, I gave it a try.

Like I said, I'm happy with it. My biggest issue is their app you use to control it. On the one hand, you get the whole thing with the power boost and all the settings options for the cost of the options alone with APR, so it's a different kind of deal. On the other, the app only seems to work with Android 6 reliably. I upgraded to Oreo recently and it won't connect.

APR is most likely in my future. I think I'd go with getting a new exhaust and jumping to Stage 2 if I go that route. A friend of mine did that with his GTX and it's a whole different car altogether.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts