Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a new Sienna. And the one great feature that I like about it over my Passat is the autodimming mirror. Has anyone fitted either a GLX or Audi dimming mirror into their GLS or GL Passat? Are the universal mirrors at PepBoys or Kragen compatiable with B5 mirror mounts? Did you wire it to the overhead console or snake the wires down to the fuse box? Other than the GLX is it pre-wired? After seeing how this works I have to have it.

Could not find much on a search here or on VWVortex. Audiworld had a lot of write ups but wanted to here from our guys.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

John

·
Registered
262 Posts
I fitted a Gentex autodiming mirror with compass, used on GM and Chrysler cars, bought used on Ebay in my :b5: . Check out my signature.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I used a GLX autodimming mirror on my GLS! I got it off a wrecked GLX Passat from carparts.org.

Its a different mount, however, the ring for the GLX mirror fits around the nub for the GLS mirror. I used a fuse adapter to supply power to it. It uses its own sensors to determine when its dark and light out... There were two other wires which I believe control the "off" function" when the car goes into reverse, but I really could care less about that.

Let me know if you have any questions... and i will try to help you out.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yupe, found a bunch of them GENTEX mirror on ebay. Orlangba, would you mind give a little instruction on how to remove the OEM and install this? THis looks like a worthy mod. :eek:h:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a small blemish in my windshield. When it turns into a crack I think I'll change the mirror when I have the windshield replaced. I'm to afraid to take off the original mount and busting the glass. I believe the replacement windows don't have the buttons mounted on them (am I wrong?).

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Umm, Yeh I think they do actually have the buttons,

a way around it , is have your glass replaced at the dealer through your insurance company. The deaer can rovide the correct glass, and mount

now, back to ttopic. How do you get the OEM mirror off?????????????

joshman

·
Registered
370 Posts
Take this:

Passat W8 (and German 2004 OEM mirror) with 2 red LEDs :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Airwalk,

I WANT THAT!!! (Why oh why does VWOA not send all the goodies here to No.America?)

Anybody going to arrange a group buy?

J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
kb6zmj
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing