Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Passat wedge bulb is not LED at all, so if you buy PIAA LED it will be different type of illumination. Swapping is straight.
I had Blue White Color(P# 19262), now I have White Color (P# 19263)
first from the left-blue whiteLED PIAA,second from left and center-OE bulbs, 1st and 2nd from right side- white LED PIAA. Not best pic but only I have.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The WLED-6's are nice! Unfortunately, I just checked their website and they are out of stock for the whites. Looks like a nice match for HID's. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

I got the 6 LED wedge for the city lights before they went out of stock. They are REALLLLLY bright but they're pretty cool!

haha and if you buy leds from superbrightleds.com.... you get a GROOVY bumper sticker too :weirdo:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you really want someone to have to squint when they're coming at you at night on that two-lane country road? I'm all for good illumination, but I'm also for not blinding other drivers at the same time. For some reason having a light this bright on your car just seems like a bad idea, and somewhat counter-productive.

Abe

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
abegetchell said:
Do you really want someone to have to squint when they're coming at you at night on that two-lane country road? I'm all for good illumination, but I'm also for not blinding other drivers at the same time. For some reason having a light this bright on your car just seems like a bad idea, and somewhat counter-productive.

Abe
These leds are very bright, but they don't project very far. Unlike your projector or reflector head light beam, at close up of less than a car length, I wouldn't want to stare at these LEDs for long. But any further their lumens dramatically dropped off.

btw baisee00, those leds you got look great on your car at night :thumbup: . Now don't you wish the low beams are as white ? :wink:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
vuvision said:
abegetchell said:

Abe
These leds are very bright, but they don't project very far. Unlike your projector or reflector head light beam, at close up of less than a car length, I wouldn't want to stare at these LEDs for long. But any further their lumens dramatically dropped off.

btw baisee00, those leds you got look great on your car at night :thumbup: . Now don't you wish the low beams are as white ? :wink:
yeah you're totally right....they dont' project very far at all....when they're on with the low beams i can't really even notice the LEDS. But it does look cool on its own, YAY euroswitch!

don't stare....they hurt! hahah my eyes were hurting when I took the pics :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
At this time, LEDs are no match for an incandescent or xenon as far as luminosity is concerned. You probably won't be blinded by LEDs. Many European and Asian LED manufacturers are, however, attempting to create the first 5W per chip LED. And when they do, watch out! These LEDs will likely replace incandescents, xenons, mercuries, etc. for many different illumination functions such as cars, houses, industrial use, etc. LED technology is still in its infancy but is advancing rapidly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
At this time, LEDs are no match for an incandescent or xenon as far as luminosity is concerned. You probably won't be blinded by LEDs. Many European and Asian LED manufacturers are, however, attempting to create the first 5W per chip LED. And when they do, watch out! These LEDs will likely replace incandescents, xenons, mercuries, etc. for many different illumination functions such as cars, houses, industrial use, etc. High performance LED technology is still in its infancy but is advancing rapidly.

At the particular airfield that I fly out of (I'm a pilot), they are replacing all of the airfield lighting with LEDs. The LED is in the ground pointing upwards. The light beam travels through a plastic tube that holds a cone shaped diffuser at the top. The cone shaped diffuser spherically disperses the light uniformly. So far they have replaced about half of the airfield. The light looks so much better than the incadescent bulbs that were once there. They are every bit as bright and look ten times better. They are also substantially cheaper to operate (as far as power consumption is concerned), last substantially longer, and once they do fail, are extremely easy to replace.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This is why I love this forum!! You guys bring tears to my eyes.. :thumbup:

Special shouts out to the man with the most hated car on this forum! When I get out of this sling and brace, I'm getting those RE's..

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
clark_nicholas said:
this might be a stupid question but how do you know if you have city lights, and if you don't have them how do you get them :?
I'm sure all B5.5's have them. I'd bet the B5's have them too. They are the tiny bulbs that light up the headlight housing only - not the low beam or high beam headlight bulbs themselves. With a "Euroswitch" you can turn on the running lights + city lights only, without turning on the headlights too.

In many european cities, headlights can not be used inside the city limits, so the city lights warn pedestrians that there is a vehicle coming without blinding the pedestrians. The city lights are much dimmer than DRL's, and not intended for the same purpose, but can produce a cool-looking effect in the right circumstances.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing