Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the opertunity to drive a new passat with the tdi yet? My local dealership hasn't got any in yet, but I plan on taking one for a spin when they do. I'm really wondering how they drive with the automatic, I'm worried about it being sluggish. I'm seriously thinking about trading my V6 in for one though if I like the way it drives.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The best Tdi's come with a 6 speed box.In the meanwhile I'll just have to live with my 5 speed !
If you guys aren't used to TDi's they will seem strange at first. There's no reving them to 7,000 rpm. !
FWIW I'd give the 150bhp V6TDi a miss.The euro favourite is still the 1.9.In either 110,130 or 150 ( not in a B5.5 though).The new 2.0L ones that are in the Mk5 Golf's and Audi's are likely to be even better ! The V6 is quite an old engine.Audi have fitted the PD head and get 180 bhp out of it.That makes it a much better proposition.For me , a 130 variant with 4Mo would do nicely.Until then my 110 (chipped) will have to do !

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm used to diesels, I work at a Mack truck dealership, and I've driven some pick ups and small Isuzus with diesels, but they seemed sluggish. I've heard good things about the 1.9's in Golfs and Jettas ( Boras ) over here in the states though, just wondered what the passats are like with an automatic. I'd love a 5 or 6-speed too, but I was told by VW they have no plans at the moment to offer it over hear. They say the 2.0 were getting should have 137hp and I think 247 ft lbs. or torque, so I don't think it'll set the tires ablaze, but it should be no slouch either.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The hp and torque figures look about right.I think the main issue with Diesels in the US is the sulphur content.The PD's do need avery low sulphur content , which euro diesel has had for quite a few years now.Also with your gas being (relatively) low cost compared to europe, there has been little incentive. Our unleaded is about 80 pence per litre, approx $3/US G. Ok , so diesle is a similar cost, but you get to go twice as far for the same price.And with 247 ft lbs of grunt ......

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Regarding our high sulfur content, what will happen to a 2.0 diesel driven here for the next two years till our sulfur content comes way down? Then when we do have the low sulfur fuel, will a 2.0 that has spent 2 years with a lot of sulfur in the diesel recover and be just as good as if it had run on low sulfur all along?

Also is there a difference in Cetane between US diesel and European? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The older Passat TDI's can routinely return 60+ mpg a bit better than our '03 Jetta TDI which is solidly in the very high 50's; of course this is being driven with restraint. Word is the new PD engine, from Poland? is significantly lower in fuel economy but still far higher than its gas counterparts. I agree that the all wheel drive diesel would be a grand slam. Take it from me , the VW diesel is fantastic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have one...

It's the Euro 1.9 PD 100 though...it pulls really well and it returns 45mpg...its a Polish built engine also...

I fitted a Original Tuning Box to it during the weekend, and now it pulls like crazy...very entertaining...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I drove a silverstone gray gls wagon with anthracite leather on Friday afternoon. it has the 2.0 pump deuse engine that is our only choice. It started with the typical diesel clatter, but very subdued, much quieter than my brother's 2001 jetta TDI. sticker with the gls and leather was 28K and some change. Base GL price for the wagon was 24 something. It was $300 bucks more expensive than an identical GLS 1.8t wagon with tip sitting next to it, but it's straight sticker price on the TDI, no 0.9%, no discount. I could get into the gas one for between 23 and 24, vs high 28K on the TDI, but hell, it's only the second one they have had.

I'm not used to the tip, but in my +/- half hour test drive, the ratios seemed well matched tothe torque curve of the engine. It has good acceleration, cruised nicely at 75, but I was on a local loop and a good bit of back roads. The tip shifted very smoothly, even under hard acceleration. again, I'm used to my chipped 1.8t with the stick.

It was no slouch from the stop light. I turned the ac on at a light, followed a truck through a left turn, then passed in the right lane, accelerated hard to about 85 mph to pass him before a left lane ramp. This was with myself and the salesman that is about 6'4" or 6'5 and I'd say around 250. Traffic was heavy, so I really didn't get to mess around in tip mode, though I was able to easily get it to upshift early by feathering the throttle in auto mode, aa must when trying to ssqueeze every mpg out of the tank. I didn't get to see what the fuel capacity was. it would be nice if they put a big tank in it like in the b4 tdi's. A thousand mile range would be great, which wasn't that hard to do in a B4 tdi, but I'll guess around 5-600 on a tank.

EPA rating was 27 and 38, but I think that's a bit conservative. They rated the Jetta's with the PD a bit lower this year, and the mileage is coming up, so I'd expect 40 would be little problem.

I would love to have it with a 5 speed, then add a power box or a chip. Overall I really think it compares well to the power in the 1.8t with a tip. Way more torque and it revs much lower. If it didn't have the clatter, which is very subdued, I would compare it to a typical american automatic v6 car in theacceleration characteristics. It was very good in traffic and actually nice not having to shift, but I still prefer a manual. don't take this the wrong way, but my wife would love it. at $1.93 for 93 octane right now, I'll take the lower priced diesel and the 38-40mpg.

Other than a different engine cover under the hood, it looks just like a 1.8t. Same air intake, same trim. Unfortunately, I didn't see the easily changed cartridge filter up top like the 1.9 tdi.

I have not changed my mind, I still want one, But I think going to wait for a wagon with cloth, may be even a GL so I don't have to deal with another friggin leaky sunroof. I may actually order one and just wait the 6 months. They will start discounting. We do have well over a year until the b6 arrives. i was told they anticipate between 10 and 12% of U.S. targeted production to be TDI's so there won't be a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Does the GL have less sound insulation? Someone driving a new gas model thought that when he test drove one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Great Roberto said:
The best Tdi's come with a 6 speed box.In the meanwhile I'll just have to live with my 5 speed !
If you guys aren't used to TDi's they will seem strange at first. There's no reving them to 7,000 rpm. !
FWIW I'd give the 150bhp V6TDi a miss.The euro favourite is still the 1.9.In either 110,130 or 150 ( not in a B5.5 though).The new 2.0L ones that are in the Mk5 Golf's and Audi's are likely to be even better ! The V6 is quite an old engine.Audi have fitted the PD head and get 180 bhp out of it.That makes it a much better proposition.For me , a 130 variant with 4Mo would do nicely.Until then my 110 (chipped) will have to do !
The spacebar is your friend. Use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts