Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 1999 1.8t passat, and i got a AWE chip installed in it. I did not recognize any difference in power so i took it back, and the did a pressure test on it. My turbo was only producing 1-2 psi. So my turbo is basically done, i need to find another one, so the installation of the awe chip wont be for no reason. :(
Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
gpopshop.com sells a remanufactured K03 as well as a K03 with K04 internals that's been debated here a bit.

Cheapest way to get a turbo though.

Since your chip (I'm assuming) is AWE's GIAC one, you'd need a K03 for it to function correctly.

If you upgrade to K04, you'll need different programming.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
gpopshop.com sells a remanufactured K03 as well as a K03 with K04 internals that's been debated here a bit.

Cheapest way to get a turbo though.

Since your chip (I'm assuming) is AWE's GIAC one, you'd need a K03 for it to function correctly.

If you upgrade to K04, you'll need different programming.
They are located about 20 miles from my house. They seem like a really good shop. Several of my friends with turbo hondas have had work done by them with very good results:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
They are located about 20 miles from my house. They seem like a really good shop. Several of my friends with turbo hondas have had work done by them with very good results:)
I have the K04 and it's run beautifully for over 20k already. No complaints from me whatsoever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would the wastegate actuator be the wastegate? because they moved my wastegate, and saw that it was working fine, like it moved back and fort, is the wastegate actuator something different, and is it difficult to see if it works properly?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the DV got changed, and the hosing was checked, and they did a boost test on it, and said i was only producing 1psi. :(
So is the wastegate actuater, and the wastegate basically the same thing? the thing that opens and closes, to let the bost in? or are they two different parts?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
friends/.?honda?..sorry that doesnt mix..hehe.

couldnt resist.

just buy a k04 man...it will be a lot more F u n.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Okay well the weirdest thing happened yesterday, i was driving my car and all of a sudden i felt a lot more, which kinda scared me for that second, lol. I was confused, so i drove the care around some more, and saw that the trubo was working now, i have not done anything to the car for weeks now, and all of a sudden the turbo starts working, i dunno how or why? Could the cold weather have anything to do with it? I am realy confused on why the turbo works now, but i am really happy about it, i also just hope it doesnt stop working all of a sudden too now. Has this ever happened to anyone, or does anyone know why it workes now? weird huh?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And does any one know if someone is selling a boost gauge? or should i just get one from a web site, its about $70, and matches the stock red and blue lights on panel? is that a good idea?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts